icon

speakers popping

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gstacks 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2011 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  

For the last 2 weeks my speakers have been popping.  Only when im in idle or driving at low speeds.   On the highway it doesnt pop and while the car is off and the stereo on the speakers dont pop.  

Im just curious to what this could be.  I have 2 amps running highs only.  I also have a new stock battery. 

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2011 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
what equipment do you have?
gstacks 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2011 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
8 Boston Acoustic speakers. 4 front 4 rear.
1 kicker 600.4zx digital amp. pushing rear speakers.
1 oz audio amp. class ab pushing front 4.
The oz audio amp is pretty old i would say 3-4 years.
I think the front 4 speakers are blown but even the rear speakers pop.
The rear speakers are fairly new.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2011 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

What do you mean by "pop"?

Support the12volt.com
gstacks 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2011 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

Its a high pitch pop.  It doesnt sound like a thump.  Its almost like a loud spark.  very loud.   Sometimes the whole system will act like its going to shut down then for a super fast sec then goes back to normal.   But if the car is off and the radio is on no problems.   only when the car is in idle.

This has never ever happened before.     It comes from all speakers.  Its usually each speaker at different times.  Like if it goes in rotation.  sparking all speakers. 

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2011 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

The first thing I'd check are all the grounds making sure the ground return resistance is less than one ohm, including for the head unit.  Make sure no part of the audio system is near the vehicle's ECU... what kind of vehicle is it? 

Support the12volt.com
gstacks 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2011 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  

Its a 2006 dodge charger RT.   The battery is already in the trunk.  I believe i ran all rca's on the oppposite side of the power cable runnin from the front to the rear.

Also i have had the same head unit for 5-6 years now.  Never had this issue.  all grounds are mounted in the same location as the battery neg.  Amps have been in the car for atleast 2 years now with the same setup.    I plan on redoing my whole setup i just hope this wont happen again.   Im going to rip everything out and redo everything!

I ran 14-16 guage speaker wire the first time around.  Plan on doing 12 guage this time or maybe 10 depends if it will fit. 

DYohn 
Posted: April 17, 2011 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
OK, so the HU is 5 years old that the system has been working for 2 years before it started exhibiting this behavior?  That's a different story.  Have you changed anything at all in the vehicle lately?  If not, then likely your HU has simply broken.  If you have changed something in the car - anything - list it here before we go on.
Support the12volt.com
gstacks 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2011 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
Correct HU 5 years old. oz amp 3 years in car. kicker 1 yr-2yr.
There is a few times where the my dash will have a surge. Like if its not getting power for a split sec. speakers will act funny for that split sec and spark a few times.
im just curious if its the car but i have had bigger amps hooked up the same with no problems.   My HU has acted a funny few times in the past but nothing serious. For the most part my HU does good. Its a PANASONIC double din.   Does get pretty warm when using for a while. There are times where the cd i change is burning hot.
DYohn 
Posted: April 18, 2011 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
My suspicion that your HU is defective is stronger than ever.  Might be time for a shopping trip.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic