the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

rs 60 doesn't start when xl 500 is armed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phosporus. 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2011 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
First of all, I've checked the forums, and I didn't see anything that addressed my problem.
Well, I got an Autopage RS-60 remote starter, and I just finished installing it a few days ago. It works like a charm. Except when my Clifford XL-500 security system is armed. The Clifford system comes with an optional starter interrupt. I think having an interrupt is a great idea, so I don't want to uninstall it. The remote starter has an alarm disarm wire, but I don't know where to hook it up. I've tried attaching the pink and yellow wires from the remote starter with different configurations (click the second link below and go to page 9). I'm stuck and I don't know what to do.
Here is the link to the Clifford system wiring and here is the link for the Autopage remote starter wiring.
Please help! My security system has awful range (can't be more than about three feet away), making a remote starter completely useless if I have to disarm the system first. Thanks in advance.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 18, 2011 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Doesn't look like that Clifford system has any way to bypass zones during remote start. If it were my system, I would try using 2 relays, activated by the ground when running output from your Autopage system. They would be used to interrupt the ignition input and shock sensor inputs to the Clifford system. You don't mention the make/model/year of the vehicle...so if that GWR wire is already activating a bypass you might need a third relay to increase the output of the GWR...or use the low current ignition output to trigger the 2 relays used for interrupting the inputs.
Both relays would be wired like:
Pin 85: GWR from RS
Pin 86: Constant fused +12V
Pin 87a: One end of cut wire (either the orange shock sensor wire or WHITE/ brown ignition input wire)
Pin 87: NC
Pin 30: Other end of cut wire
You would also need to make sure the starter output from the RS is on the starter side of the starter kill circuit, not the key side.
Keep in mind, your alarm may still trigger when you deactivate the remote start...when the circuits are reconnected. So make sure you check for that.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
phosporus. 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2011 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
It's a '94 Camry with a 4 cylinder I4 engine.
phosporus. 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2011 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
Would it work if I connect the violet starter output wire from the remote starter to pin 87?
phosporus. 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2011 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
I just purchased a relay. I tried doing what you suggested, but it seems as if the GWR wire isn't even working. The switch should flip when the GWR cable becomes active, but it doesn't. I assumed it was a faulty relay, so to make sure, I tried connecting a ground wire to pin 85. Turns out the relay is working just fine; the switch flipped as soon as it made contact. I tried programming the wire to IGN3, GWR, door unlock output, ground when running bypass control output, and factory disarm, none of which worked. I also individually tested all three programmable wires, and, you guessed it, none of them worked. I thought maybe having a 200mA ground output is not enough for a constant 12V source so that's why it isn't working. But even in the installation manual it suggests similar relay solutions. Should I assume the unit is faulty even though everything works perfectly fine except for this? Or maybe it's something that I did. You said that starter output has to be on the starter side of the kill circuit. I'm not sure if it is, I connected it directly to the starter wire in the ignition harness. But should that make a difference? The location of the starter output wire shouldn't have anything to do with ground.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 20, 2011 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
The relays I suggested would only be for disconnecting the inputs that would trigger the Clifford when you activate the remote start.
A 200ma output is fine for activating a standard Bosch type relay. What do you mean the 'switch' should flip? What kind of relay did you purchase?
My reference to the starter kill circuit...hooking the starter output from the remote start to the already installed circuit is fine. You just need to make sure you are on the 'out' side of the relay. If you have it on the 'in' side of the relay it will never crank while the system is armed.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
phosporus. 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2011 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
Turns out the RS-60 unit wasn't working properly. I replaced it, and now everything works fine.
Here's what I have set up.
New relay:
Pin 85: IGN 3
Pin 86: Ignition wire
Pin 30: Armed wire from security system
Pin 87a: To pin 85 of original start interrupt relay.
Original start interrupt:
Pin 85: Armed wire from the above relay
Pin 86: Ignition wire
Pin 30: Starter wire
Pin 87a: Ignition wire

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic