icon

isolator, alternator, 98 honda civic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bryanmc1988 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2011 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
well i have a Sure Power Multi-Battery Isolator 9523A and i cant seem to get it working right... i have change all the wires and everything but my car has power i just cant crank start my car... why is that?
this is installed on a 1998 honda civic ex coupe stock
there are 4 terminals on the isolator "1, 2, A, and E"
1 is connected to my main under the hood battery positive side terminal
2 is not connected but will b connected to my 2nd battery in trunk (do i need to connect this for my to crank start my car?)
A is connected to the line thats from my positive on my main battery i think its the alternator but not sure to sure... (there is 2 connected to the positive of my battery, one to the fused box, and the other one to this one thing i'm asuming its the alternator and thats the one i connected the A to)
E is not connected and i'm not sure if i need to use it....
does anyone know ow to connect it right? please let me know
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 24, 2011 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
1 = Battery 1   2 = Battery 2    A = alternator   E = Engine (or vehicle)
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
Phew! I thought the problem was the expectation that that (and most other isolators) would assist with cranking.
Not that any isolator should impact negatively on cranking...
The starter should still be connected from the main battery and unaffected by any isolator.
bryanmc1988 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2011 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
What wire is the engine and where is it located at and the color of the wire on a 98 Honda civic ex coupe? This is my first time installing so help me out a bit guys also is the alternator on the left or right side on my engine? Cause I connected to my left side but I think the alternator is on my right side any idea?
bryanmc1988 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2011 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
ok i figure it out on the alternator part.. i had my starter connected to the A terminal on the isolator lol anyways ok back to the alternator....
Question 1: i found where its located at but what wire do i used to plug it into my A terminal on the isolator? is it the white wire thats coming from my alternator?
Question 2: and do i need to plug the engine wire to the E terminal on the isolator? if so where and what color is the wire located at? still cant find that
this is for a 1998 honda civic ex coupe
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 24, 2011 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
Starter wire = E. Assuming that wire also feeds the car as well as the starter.
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 24, 2011 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
An isolator only helps in starting by not using your under hood battery to power the sound system. Hence you can play your amplifiers till the back battery is dead, and you will still be able to start your car. It will in no way give the starter motor more power.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
And if "A" has been wired to the battery +12V and the starter to 1 or 2, then trying to start will blow the isolator (assuming it tries to crank).
That diode isolator claims (up to) 95A yet they recommend 50A wiring and a 50A circuit breaker to each battery. That's what I call a 50A isolator, but I presume they mean 95A total - ie, up to 50A to each battery.
Sometimes I think that - if you have a charge lamp - a $10 relay (for 60A to 100A) is much simpler. Plus the 2 battery fuses - but you should have those anyhow, or at least one for the rear battery.
(And now I've probably complicated it.)
bryanmc1988 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2011 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
ok so the starter wire goes to the E terminal n what about the alternator? there is a green plug and a white i believe a 8 gauge coper wire also connected to the alternator... does that white wire go to the A terminal on the isolator?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2011 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
Why not follow the isolators instruction?
It has pretty diagrams that help identify things like alternators and shows the connections and wiring?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic