icon

2006 ford expedition with 2008 navigation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jimb726 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2011 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer that came from the factory with the rear DVD and no Navigation.  I bought it used and it came with a Pioneer Avic D3 that I was having issues with.  After doing some online searching, i read many posts where people were taking the late model nav units and having them reprogrammed from CanBus to H/W and installing them in the 2003 to 2006 Expeditions.  I bought a used nav unit from a 2008 Ford, found a guy to reprogram it from an online Expedition forum.  The problem I have is that when i finally installed the radio, the navigation portion worked perfectly, but the HU didnt seem to recognize the rear DVD and the steering wheel controls did not work properly (it seems like they were programmed incorrectly, the Volume Up would change the source, the Volume Down woul do Volume Up, the Media button would do volume down, etc).  I tried to contact the guy who did the programming but found out he had moved and noone had contact info for him.  Sooo, has anyone done the late model Nav swap and if so did these other features work and if so, any idea why mine are messed up?  Second, upon removal of the Pioneer, I noticed some wires that had come apart that had most likely caused my unit to work incorrectly (the brake switch wire had seperated) and if I cannot get the OEM radio to work I will try to reinstall the Pioneer again (correctly this time).  With regards to the Pioneer (if I have to go that route) which wire is the VSS and which is the backup sensor?  Also whoever installed it used the proper harnesses, but I am curious how the RCS cables work for the Sub and the rear DVD.  Which one goes to audio out and which goes to audio in?  I am thinking that the audio in is for the rear DVD, but want to be certain.  Sorry for the long first post and I appreciate any advice in advance.

Thanks,

Jim

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2011 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  

The steering wheel controls are different between the 2006 and 2008 models. In 2006, Ford used a single wire control setup. On the 24 pin radio harness there is a blue/red in pin 18 that does all controlls thru resisted values. On the 2008, pin 18 is resisted value, but also pin 19 is a ground feed to the controls. On the 2008 pin 19 is BROWN / green and is 1 pin to the left of 18(towards the end that has the 9 larger guage wires). You could try grounding this pin and see if it works.

On the pioneer, reverse wire is PURPLE / white. VSS is pink. E brake is lt. green.

You are correct, your DVD is input, sub is an output.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
jimb726 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 wrote:

The steering wheel controls are different between the 2006 and 2008 models. In 2006, Ford used a single wire control setup. On the 24 pin radio harness there is a blue/red in pin 18 that does all controlls thru resisted values. On the 2008, pin 18 is resisted value, but also pin 19 is a ground feed to the controls. On the 2008 pin 19 is BROWN / green and is 1 pin to the left of 18(towards the end that has the 9 larger guage wires). You could try grounding this pin and see if it works.

On the pioneer, reverse wire is PURPLE / white. VSS is pink. E brake is lt. green.

You are correct, your DVD is input, sub is an output.

Ah ok, thank you for the reply.  Any idea why the rear DVD wouldnt work?  Or is there another compatability issue with the 06 vs 08?  With regards to the VSS and the Reverse Sensor, i wasnt clear, I meant where would I hook those up on the factory harness.

Thank You Again.

Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  

The VSS should already exist on the factory 24 pin plug. It is a thin gray/black wire located roughly in the middle of the plug. Reverse, no idea if it is even located on the same plug.

As for the DVD, i know that when we install an aftermarket nav on a 2006 we must power up a wire to run it that is located on the radio harness. My mind is thinking GREEN/ black but i'm not sure. We have to supply ignition power to this wire for the DVD to come on. If your DVD isn't even lighting up this is probably why.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
jimb726 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2011 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 wrote:

The VSS should already exist on the factory 24 pin plug. It is a thin gray/black wire located roughly in the middle of the plug. Reverse, no idea if it is even located on the same plug.

As for the DVD, i know that when we install an aftermarket nav on a 2006 we must power up a wire to run it that is located on the radio harness. My mind is thinking GREEN/ black but i'm not sure. We have to supply ignition power to this wire for the DVD to come on. If your DVD isn't even lighting up this is probably why.

Thanks Mike, you have been a tremendous help, I just have 2 more questions, The Pioneer was installed when I bought the vehicle, as I said the install was sloppy but they seemed to use the proper adapters, etc just shoddy install.  I think I have just about everything hooked up but on the 24 pin harness I have 5 wires that arent being used, pin locations 14, 15, 4, 6 and 7.  none of the wires are labeled so I am not sure what they are, also one of the second adapters (the one for the Audiophile) has a set of RCA jacks and then has 2 blue/white wires and they both say Amp On.  On the original install it looks like they only powered on of them, do you know if the second needs to be powered as well?  Thanks again for all of the help.  Its greatly appreciated.

Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2011 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  

No idea on the spare 24 pin wires. The other harness is the sub amp harness. For some reason Metra(who made that plug) puts 2 blue/white remote wires and 2 RCA's, yet only one of each really works. You can hook them all up if you wish, or just the one that really works.

If you decide to reinstall the Pioneer, you will find that the sub will make a loud pop when you turn it on. This is because the factory amp requires only 7 volts thru that blue/white for turn on. While you giving it 12 volts from your Pioneer blue/white turn on will turn it on, you can get rid of the pop by adding a resistor inline.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
jimb726 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2011 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 wrote:

No idea on the spare 24 pin wires. The other harness is the sub amp harness. For some reason Metra(who made that plug) puts 2 blue/white remote wires and 2 RCA's, yet only one of each really works. You can hook them all up if you wish, or just the one that really works.

If you decide to reinstall the Pioneer, you will find that the sub will make a loud pop when you turn it on. This is because the factory amp requires only 7 volts thru that blue/white for turn on. While you giving it 12 volts from your Pioneer blue/white turn on will turn it on, you can get rid of the pop by adding a resistor inline.

Thanks again Mike.

I have decided to reinstall the Pioneer, from reading the install manual, they indicate that the Reverse Sensor wire should have a fuse resistor on it, it appears that when they installed my radio they didnt use it, do I need it?  If so do you know what value resisitor I need?  For the sub harness can I just take both blues and solder them to the blue from the radio so I know I got the correct one?

Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2011 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

Your going to notice that one of the blues don't even go to another wire on the other end of the plug, so yes you can connect both together. Like i mentioned above, be prepared for a pop when the sub amp comes on.

The inline on the reverse wire was for select cars, you really won't need it on your Ford. Just connect it without...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
jimb726 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2011 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

Ok Mike, gotta pick your brain yet again, lol.  I got my Avic installed and everything works properly with the exception of one thing.  When i play my rear DVD, the unit powers up correctly and the creeen plays, but I get no sound, I have the PIE adapter and it just has RCA cables, a red and BLACK/ white stripe.  I hooked the red to power, the black to ground and hooked the RCA to input.  Did i do something wrong?

Thanks,

jim

jimb726 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2011 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
jimb726 wrote:

Ok Mike, gotta pick your brain yet again, lol.  I got my Avic installed and everything works properly with the exception of one thing.  When i play my rear DVD, the unit powers up correctly and the creeen plays, but I get no sound, I have the PIE adapter and it just has RCA cables, a red and BLACK/ white stripe.  I hooked the red to power, the black to ground and hooked the RCA to input.  Did i do something wrong?

Thanks,

jim

Good grief, after the maiden voyage where everything other than the DVD sound worked great, I took it for another drive and now all of the destination options are greyed out.    I removed all of the wiring and I soldered and heat shrunk every connection (BTB-200, Sirius and all of the aftermarket harness connectors), I did the bypass.  The first time I pulled out of the drive everything worked great and I was able to input addresses, etc.  I parked the car, went out a couple hours later and everything was greyed out again.  Now the bypass is working great, the DVD plays at any speed and in the Connections it shows the parking brake as "on" so it would seem that there arent any loose connections.  I double checked all connections and everything is nice and tight.  Do you have any suggestions?  I hate to think that I need to buy a replacement, especially with the extras that I have for this one.  Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic