tail light issue on 2002 honda odyssey

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
calitech247 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2011 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

Whats up peeps,

Wondering if anyone ever ran into this problem? I worked on an odyssey recently and the tail light circuit fried. tail light issue on 2002 honda odyssey -- posted image.

I don't know what I might have done wrong or if I did do anything wrong.  I installed an overhead with a built-in dvd player.  The screen and the player needed 12-volt ignition and ground. I got the igniton from the deck harness. Then I hooked up the domelight which was 12-volt constant, 12-volt trigger, and ground.  I got constant at the deck harness but the trigger wire I got from the domelight switch. The domelight wire was a negative pulse so used a relay to reverse the polarity. All grounds were grounded to metal and all power leads fused.

Dude came back twice. First time the 15 amp courtesy light fuse was blown and I replaced it.  The second time it was blown again but this time it blew has soon as I replaced it. He took it to his mechanic who found a crunched wire at the passenger visor. He said it crunched when the visor was put back. And that explained it all.

But, a) Why did everything I install still work, even after the circuit fried? b) Why didn't the circuit fry immediately after I crunched the wire instead of two weeks later? c) Why didn't any fuses blow? d) Is the tail light circuit even related to the couresty/domelight circuit? I can see the domelight circuit being together with the visor lights, but not the tail lights.

I just want to avoid this problem in the future.

calitech247 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2011 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

Whoops....the fuse that blew was NOT the courtesy light fuse it was the tail light fuse...15 amp on...on the passenger side fuse box. My mistake.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2011 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
Probably nothing to do with you.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
Ha ha - but try convincing the customer of that!!!
It is so obvious - because the fuse blew after buying Macdonalds, its the food's fault.
In this case it's Calitech.
[ I'm assuming there is no link - it is merely coincidence. I am merely restating what many of us know about about coincidence and customer logic.
I think back to the classic "When will people get it? Everytime there is a nuclear test, within 2 weeks there is an earthquake somewhere in the world!". Yep - they are obviously still testing nukes somewhere.... Must be those terrorists... ]
(Hey - I just got a call - the Camp-Alpha team want to recruit me. Did they disband Camp-B?)
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 18, 2011 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
Nothing you installed was dependent on the illumination circuit. 
calitech247 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2011 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the support people,

The owners mechanic says I pinched a wire when I screwed the passenger visor back onto the car. But no blown fuse? Overhead and domelight still works weeks later? And the courtesy lights circuit is separate from the tail light circuit...tail light issue on 2002 honda odyssey -- posted image.

Well its all over and done with now. Life goes on.

At times, it would be nice to grow an extra pair of hands.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2011 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
The owner's mechanic was trying to make money out of you. You should have seen to the problem yourself or find a friendly (to yourself) sparks to sort it out.
The owner MUST give you first option to rectify.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 05, 2011 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

The light in the visor only illuminates at night.  It is connected to the taillight fuse.  The reason it took a couple weeks was because the wire was pinched, but the insulation was not penetrated.  The vehicle driving around eventually penetrated the insulation of the wire.

Earlier I stated nothing you installed was associated with the illumination circuit.  I was right in that satement.  I did not know you removed the visors or the headliner.

How long does it take you to install an overhead?  Do you always remove the visors?

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2011 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
Good points of view Mr. M.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 05, 2011 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
I know of this issue only because i had a friend that thought their make up lamp was broken.  It would not illuminate.  It took them a month to figure out it only worked when the lights were on.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic