volvo v40 '02 keyless entry and walk me

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spikeman 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2011 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hi guys!
So I just got my new ride, and I see that I'm able to buy a keyless entry-system for it. Basic question, is this difficult to wire if I have less than average knowledge about electronics? I have my car sort of apart at the moment and will be taking the inside apart even more shortly (as soon as my stereo-supplier gets a hold of some HushMat..), therefore I figured I'd give it a go at getting a system like this up and running.
At the same time I know my car has the ability to walk-me-home with the headlights lighting up for a certain time. But, on this car using that system means that I have to pull the lever for my high beams to make it activate, before leaving the car, which also means I cant make them light up from outside of the car. I would like them to turn on when I lock the car and when I unlock them, for a certain amount of time so that when it's dark outside they will turn on.
And come to think of it, I had a third thought.
I see new cars today come with sensors for turning the headlights on when it gets dark outside. Is this possible to implement in a car that doesn't have it standard and how would I go forward in doing this? Also, note that I live in Norway, meaning that most of the summer it is not dark here until around 2200 at night.. But winter is pretty much "opposite", where it is dark almost all day round and really dark at night.
To make this even more difficult, can this same thing be done, but be programmed so that my "fog lights" are active when it is bright outside and my headlights turn on when it gets dark? Or perhaps have some kinda system that checks the time to decide when it should turn on.
If you wondered: My car is a Volvo V40 2002-model with xenon headlights, a 1,8 litre gas-engine and 5-speed automatic.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2011 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
Think you will need to add an actuator in the driver's door. I bet you can only lock all doors from the driver's door not the front passenger door.
There's already a post on using or installing rain sensors, it looks impossible.
spikeman 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2011 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
Actually theres a unlock button on both doors, which does unlock all of the doors on the car, including the rear hatch.
Ok, so maybe, sensors aren't a great idea :P How bout some kind of timing device?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2011 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
Apologies, I never went past 98 with that car.
I only have the US info and the one's I worked on were right hand drive.
My info gives BROWN / grey or BROWN / green for lock and yellow/grey (double pulse for unlock, both NEG. pulse, pins A16 and A18 at the alarm/lock module behind the centre console. This is the US version so if that location doesn't work, check the leads going into the driver's door.
spikeman 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2011 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
No need for apologies :) Just was stating the facts :P
Ok, seems the US info might be correct for mine since it's a left hand car and US also is left hand. But I'll have to check, using a multimeter?
Sorry, but I don't know much about this stuff. And haven't purchased any of the stuff I need yet nor is the car at a part were I can rip it apart yet..
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2011 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, or on that year and model you could probably get away with a Snap-On test light, croc clip to ground and probe the pins I mentioned.
Using your DMM, find the headlight wire preferably high beam and let me know if it pulses POS. or NEG. in the steering column loom and I'll show you how to do headlights with lock.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic