icon

blowing kicker l 5 l7

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mskow1979 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2011 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
i bought 2 l 5s an those blew out, so i though the ampi had was to big for them, so i got the l 7s then now those blew out, i have a zx1500.1 the gain is down, the bass boost is down, im not new to this, i have never had any problems wit subs till now,i bought these subs from hifi sound connect, they say that the subs r new but they have come all scuffed up an they say they r authorized kicker dealer,i hate to say this but i need help, i have never had any trouble wit any sub till i have bought subs from this place. i got the cross over frequency set right. i dont know if its something from my deck, its pioneer premier not sure of the model, but i need help, its in a ported box also,
matt
mskow1979 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2011 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
my car is a chrysler 300s 2003 if that makes a difference. Matt
matt
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2011 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
not enough info,
mskow1979 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2011 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
they r 12 inch 4ohm dual voice coil. not sure of the deminsions on the box. i followed how to wire the subs up. the gain is down an the bass boost is low.i dont know if its the subs or if its me or them lying an them bein refurbished or not. but i have never had a problem wit kicker subs till now. i had a pair of the l7 round subs an they were fine, got them from a different comapny an a different amp as well, with those i had a rockford 1000.1 bd old one. so i need help ium sick of this happpening. whewn the first one blew out i unpluged the sub from the amp an it was still paying. man i need help. with this setup i hate to say i might be in over my head.
matt
fosgate2001 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2011 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have a nulti meter?? If so set it to DC voltage and unplug the rca's from the amp and also disconnect the speaker wires to the amp..
Power the amp up with only Power ground and remote hooked up to it. Place your black meter prob on the negative speaker terminal on the amp and the red probe on the positive speaker terminal of the amp.. What is the reading you get when you do this??
mskow1979 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2011 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
no i do not have that meter, i looked online an my bo is ported an the space inside teach sub, is 1.60 so i don't know, im tired of this stuff blowing an sending them back, i thought these woffers could handle ungodly amounts of power an punishment, an at this stage of my life as i am 32 i dont play them to were my ear drums r bleeding but enough to my liking wich isnt too loud but not quiet
matt
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2011 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
What's your net impedance?  And you say "the gain is down" but what does that mean?  How did you set it?
Support the12volt.com
mskow1979 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2011 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
I set the gain by turning my volume up by 70% turned gain up till distortion then turned it down on my deck in my car there is a thing call hpf lowest is 50 and the highest is at 125. What should it be set at
matt
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2011 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

OK, well at least you set it using a method that actually employed a signal.  :)  This guide might help you.  HPF means "high pass filter" and it is for mains, NOT subs.  If it is part of your subwoofer circuit, TURN IT OFF.  This is likely your problem.  The subwoofers should be crossed over using something called LPF or low-pass filter.  Set it to about 100Hz.

Support the12volt.com
mskow1979 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2011 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
I have a pioneer deh p680 mp I see no low pass filter on my deck how do I get it to the 100hz turned off the high pass filter.
matt
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic