the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2003 pathfinder build recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2011 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
Wow, the old gang's all here! DYohn, Haemphyst, stevdart, etc. Long time no see/type.
After running through a G37S coupe lease, I am ready for practicality, something that can haul bikes and gardening gear, and something that can get around better in the snow...
I've got an opportunity to pick up a 2003 Pathfinder for a song and I'm going to take it. (It'll also be nice to ditch the G37's lease payment).
I have, however, grown quite fond of the G37's NAVI, steering wheel controls, back-up camera, Bluetooth, iPod interface, touch screen, and the like.
What's a 2003 Pathfinder compatible and cream-of-the-crop head unit that may provide such features? Has anyone seen any good SQ installs?
Back when I last put a system together, Eclipse was the peach for head units, MB Quart made great components, Image Dynamics and Adire were popular for subwoofers, and Xtant or Eclipse were big for amplifiers.
This no longer seems to be the case. :-)
The Eclipse site looks barren, Adire is defunct, Image Dynamics is gone, MB Quart is still here ... but I've seen questions regarding its quality.
In short, I'm looking for some guidance. My system will be pretty simple:
Head unit that does the works;
Highs amplifier
Sub amplifier
Single subwoofer, hidden if possible.
High quality components up front; no rear fill.
Class D or other 'digital switching' amplifiers preferred (I'm not interested in doing anything to the electrical system to support high current AB amplifiers).
Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
sthrnbmpn 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
yeah digital amps seem to be the new best seller,
smaller footprint style mono amps with digital yada-yada-yada, (im not sure)
alpine has a new model mrx-m100 (1000 @2ohm) that has alot of gd features, great power output whens it wired to multiple subs, so that amp combined with a alpine type x sub would make a gd combo
the only CON i can think of is no intergrated fan, which if its at a 4 ohm load its probly not needed, but if u push 1.6 to 2 ohms on it, like myself then i recommend 2 external fans
also i see massive audio has the n4 nano with the same small package/big numbers type deal
anyways i just wanted to post my feedback on the alpine
1000 watts of lp, now need sum hp an mids
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply, sthrnbmpn.
You pointed me in the direction of Alpine for the amplifiers. It looks like they have a nice selection of small full-range digital amplifiers. Thanks!
(I'll be running the tiny ones @4ohms. I'm 100% SQ.)
Any opinions, good or bad, about this Kenwood head unit?
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113KVT696/Kenwood-Excelon-KVT-696.html?tp=5684
kfr01 
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
Any thoughts about this amplifier? I'm thinking about an under-the-front-seat amplifier install.
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_109MSA1004/JBL-MS-A1004.html?tp=35782
Installers out there, any way this will fit in the rear install locations?
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=29
kfr01 
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
Here we go:
Shallow and tiny. These might actually fit in the rear doors. Not ideal, but could be totally stealth.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2060CVT654/Kicker-10CVT654.html?tp=111&nvpair=AG_General_Features|FFFree_Air&nvpair=FFSize|[rank4">6-1%2f2%22
phil6710 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
don't bother buying a 96-03 pathfinder. I had one and its a death trap. Google "strut tower failure 98 pathfinder". The drivers strut tower actualy rips and rots off the front sub frame resulting in a dangerus condition. They just recalled these vehicals. Its a $2500 fix at least. I just junked one a few months ago. I lost thousands on that vehical I junked it befor the recall. The front drivers side strut tower was totaly ripped off from the subframe. It was hitting the hood and the stearing shaft. It made the truck unpredictable while driving.  I had a killer system custom interior big rims , custom paint,ect. And I had to junk it! I got $200 for it.
Solartech Window Tinting and Electronics,contract installer
kfr01 
Posted: June 09, 2011 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
Phil: A HUGE thanks for telling me about this. I can't believe the seller (the infiniti dealer) wasn't disclosing this to me. Thankfully, I had not signed anything. Again - THANK YOU! I am OK with normal old car problems, but not things that could significantly impact safety.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic