icon

keep radio on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daytonboi 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2011 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
Ok here is what I want to achieve. I want to be able to when I park and when I turn the car from run to accessory, not have the radio cut off on me. As it is right now, when I turn the key no matter how fast I do it.
What I don't want to do is build a RAP-like module. I was thinking along the lines of using a capacitor and diode.
Something like this:
keep radio on -- posted image.
Does everything look ok with that?
2013 Chevy Impala LTZ
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2011 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
Better off using a diode from each of Acc & IGN that feed a relay (#86; with #85 to ground, and maybe a spike suppressing diode with Kathode (line end) to #86 and other end to #85).
The relay (#30) should be feed from the battery via a fuse with output (#86) to the Radio's power (Switched).
The supply to #30 can be your own new/dedicated cable(s) with fuse from the battery +12V (and battery -ve) as many (of us) do, else an existing constant +12V circuit with adequate supply.
Though your circuit is good for smaller and less voltage sensitive stuff, the diode/capacitor introduces a 0.6V diode drop and both the diode and cap have to be BIG to supply the required Radio current and supply time. Plus the gradual voltage drop and cause problems (it's like a brownout situation - an unclean OFF).
Using the diode/relay method means low(ish) power diodes can be used (eg, 1N4004 else 1N4007 1A 400V else 1000V diodes for all cases - ie, need 3; get 5 - only ~ 20c each).
The relay can be any 12v SPST (else SPDT) relay that handles the Radio current - eg, common 30A auto relays.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2011 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Plus one for using smaller value components and a relay to supply the load.
keep radio on -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 11, 2011 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
Is it an aftermarket radio?  If so, the red wire of the unit draws so little current that a 470 microfarad capacitor should do the trick. 
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
I was assuming the switched was the main power. But that isn't always so - it cam be merely a signal wire, though sometimes the constant is only for memory power.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 13, 2011 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
Back in the day, that was how it was. Everything built post about 1985 uses constant to power everything in the unit. Hence the larger (10 amp) fuse on the constant wire. Notice the Pioneer units with the resistor in the little black tubular thingy in the red wire.
Wow, I typed thigy and the spell check notified me. It took thingy. Wow

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic