icon

2000 grand prix lineout converter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the_one369 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2011 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
The car is a 2000 pontiac grand prix. It has a stock cd player and my friend wanted to keep it that way. So i installed a line out converter. It is working fine but here's the problem. Door closed when you turn the key to ACC the radio turns on but no sound, then when you turn the key off then you can hear music, same when you start the car and turn off. Then the other wierd thing is when you have the key in ACC or off and the music is playing and you push the window button it the radio cuts out for how ever long you hold the button down. If you hold the button down to long the radio shuts off completely. All I did was tap into the Brown and yellow wire behing the stereo. So I am kinda lost any ideas?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 05, 2011 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
Were the brown and yellow wires located directly next to each other in the harness?
Why would you not use the blue pair also? Granted there is not much difference on the lower frequencies, but there is still some stereo information.
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2011 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  
SO where did you get accessory for the amplifier?
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
the_one369 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2011 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
I got the remote turn on from the antenna trigger(pink wire) From the looks of it as I looked at the vehicle wiring on this site I see that there are 2 yellow wires one that is switched and one that is ground for the rear speaker. So I am wondering if I might have tapped into the wrong yellow and if that is the case would that cause the problem I am having with pushing the window button making the radio turn off?
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 06, 2011 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Were the brown and yellow wires located directly next to each other in the harness?
Why would you not use the blue pair also? Granted there is not much difference on the lower frequencies, but there is still some stereo information.
the_one369 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2011 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  

To be honest with you I don't remember if they were next to each other. The car is my friends and he lives 30 mins. from me so i won't get to pull it apart till the weekend. I am an idiot what are we looking for when I do pull it apart should they be together or should they be placed on different ends of the plug?

Thanks again

i am an idiot 
Posted: July 06, 2011 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
They are next to each other. They will be in line with the Dark Blue and light blue wires.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2011 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
honestly the window problem is really strange. the only thing i can think of is that a speaker wire is pinched inside the door and possibly caught in the track or gears of the motor. this will cause the problem but it still doesnt fit completely.
on the radio harness you will be able to tell which pair are speaker wires because each set should be twisted together but you might have to cut open the harness to see it.
what all did you install? just a bass amp? or did you install an amp for the speakers too?
if you installed an amp for the speakers did you make sure to cut them off of the radio so it cant backfeed power to the factory radio?
how did you run the main power wire through the firewall to the battery?
any extra info you can give no matter how dumb you think it might be will probably be helpful. anything strange you might have noticed during the install or pre existing problems with the car.
the_one369 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2011 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
First off I only hooked up an amp for a pair of subwoofers. I ran power wire through the firewall and used a grommet then down the driver side and I ran the rcas down the passenger side. I grounded the amp in the trunk. I only had to remove one piece of trim on both sides of the car. I pulled out the headunit and removed some insulation so I could solder but I have yet to solder due to the problems that have transpired. I never messed with anything that has to deal with the windows or the wiring involving the windows. So I've came to the conclusion that when this problem is solved I'm done with lineout converters. Thanks again anymore info I can give let me know.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2011 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
well if what you say is true then i dont know what to tell you other than unhook the LOC and see if it fixes the problem. go back down the line and pull the panels back off to make sure you didnt pinch and wires when you snapped everything back together. its pretty hard to mess up a bass amp install to the point where this kind of stuff happens so ill give you the benefit of the doubt and say that it was coincidence.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic