icon

viper 5901 faulty? starts sometimes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lak8 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys, Maybe you can help me out with this problem since the installers really dont know what to think.

I just had a Viper 5901 and idatalink ADS-AL CA bypass installed into my Nissan Titan. There seems to be a problem with the remote start using the keychain.

Sometimes it will start without a problem and other times the engine just turns over with no start (like your trying to start with no gas) It willattempt to do this 3 times, each time nothing. The kicker was today when i tryed to start it using the remote.. it just keep on cranking the engine over... i had to shut it down with the remote or else my starter on my truck would of been cooked.  Luckly i was there to see it.

So baisly some times it starts and others it dosn't. What would cause this.

I was thinking and the installers were kinda having the same thoughts that maybe the 5901 brain was faulty and evern the bypass. Altho they didn't seem like they wanted to do anything...

What could be the problem and i can tell them. I need some info on what i could be so im not clueless when im talking to them.

lak8 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
I forgot to mention the truck starts everytime with the key in the ignition
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a bypass issue, to verify, insert a key in the ignition barrel and just leave it there, and do remote start, if it starts you have a bypass issue. Post back.
JW.ORG.
COMMIT YOUR WAY TO JEHOVAH AND HE WILL ACT IN YOUR BEHALF.
PSALMS 37:5
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2011 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry you posted while i was, you have a bypass issue.
JW.ORG.
lak8 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2011 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

T&T Tech, I tried what you said and you are correct. On the the 1st and 2nd try It didn't start but just cranked. On the 3rd time i put the key in the ignition (just leaving it there without turning) and it starts up no problem. Did this a couple times to forsure make sure it was it.

So basicly it forsure seems like its the idatalink bypass (ADS-AL CA)  Question is what can be done to fix it now. Is the bypass faulty or maybe needs to be reflashed. Seems kinda wried that sometimes it start and sometimes it dosn't. If i had to guess i would say its defective.

The thing that has me worried is why today did it just keep on cranking for a long period of time?. It only did this once today and i cant seem to get it to do it again, but it was like someone was just holding/turning the key forever cranking it and not firing/turning over the engine .  What would of coused that?

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2011 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

There are many things to check. 

Go to the iDatalink site and look up your truck.  http://www.idatalink.com/support/helpdesk  Download the

ADS AL CA install guide for your application ( probably ADS AL(DL) NI1 or DBI AL(DL) NI1 ).  The only way to
verify this and the firmware version is with an ADS USB cable.

Is the D2D harness used or is it installed with W2W connections?  Verify the Vipers' D2D jumpers are set properly in the

horizontal position.  Next check that all the connections are as listed in the Type 1 install section of the guide.
All connections should be soldered. 

If everything looks good, try a Factory Reset on the iDatalink, set the correct Mode and then program it to the

truck.  A bypass module re-flash would be the next step. 

If the unit is still acting up and it was a D2D install, try re-wiring it up as W2W. ( W2W is always reliable. )

As for the 3 crank attempts, how is the Viper programmed, Tach or Voltage Mode?  Tach is the most reliable.  Is

the ADS tach output connected to the Viper tach input ( W2W mode )?  Try re-learning the tach.

Soldering is fun!
lak8 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2011 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

kreg357 i really thank you for the help, but all that stuff is alittle over my head. The installers were bestbuy and there suppost to be looking into it next week when my appointment is to fix this problem. I just wanted to pin point on what the problem can be. I heard of people say d2d and w2w before but didnt know what it means? I just really hope they can fix the problem. The thing that stinks too is they don't have anymore of the bypasses in stock and im sure when i go down there they probably still wont have any more. I had to buy the one i bought for them to install from futureshop. This whole thing is leaving a bad taste in my mouth and i dont think ill ever get bestbuy to do the install again.

This is the 3rd time returning there with problems. First was factory alarm wasn't deactived, second was shock sensor, and now this. Not to mention imo the install under the dash isn't the neatest. My other two alarms/starts i had put in before from other well known places, did such a nice job and even used loom to to cover up wires under the dash. I only used bestbuy this time since i got a really good deal and saved over $250 vs the other guys. the connections are suppost to be solderd so im hoping nothing comes lose but the tape job isnt the nicest imo. I think once everything is working (hoping) ill go under the dash and make everything nice and neat.

t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 6:45 AM / IP Logged  
Lesson from that, good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good. Period. Hope you get it resolved.
JW.ORG.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  

usually it will only keep cranking if it sees no tach..... or tach wasnt learned....  did they connect tach in the vehicle or tach from the module?  Viper and ADS dont work well together in that respect....

as already said, a good install isn't cheap, and a cheap install isn't good!!

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
lak8 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  

The part were it keep'd on cranking over and over none stop has me worried big time. Can you imagine if it keep'd on cranking, i would think the starter would burn out and i world be left stranded some place with a hugh bill for a tow and a new starter installed or even cause a fire and the whole truck go up in flames.

I will ask them if they connected the tach wire.  I would think it would only crank for a set period of time on the viper 5901 then stop regardless if it see a tach signal or not. So basicly the tach would be the only thing that would cause this problem?

Guys just wanted to say big thanks for the help!. Im going to point out all of this when i go down to them for my appointment and try to get it fixed

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic