icon

no starter wire on a 2008 cobalt ss

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ozmitsu03 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2011 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
I am working on a 2008 chevy cobalt ss. its is manual trans. i have everything hooked up and i am drawing a blank now. 2 things 1)How do you bypass the clutch 2) it will not remote start even with me holding down the clutch. when i hit the remote to end the starting cycle it cranks and starts and then shuts off. also the car has no starter wire and im guessing something needs to be double pulsed to start this thing. any feedback would be great. i used to install for 3 years but have been out of the game for about 5 years now. so all this new technology and stuff is confusing me. any help would be great.
ozmitsu03 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2011 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry i am installing the viper vss5000 and using the dlpk bypass
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 5:47 AM / IP Logged  

GM vehicles without a Starter wire start by watching the Ignition and Accessory wires.  The sequence is both

Ignition and Accessory get power ( +12v ) then Accessory drops the +12v.  At that point the vehicle knows to
start the engine.  Your Viper does this automatically during a remote start.  As soon as the engine is running
the Accessory wire returns to +12v. 

Here is a complete wire listing for a 2005 Cobalt :  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=717

Your 2008 should be very similar.  The guide shows the Clutch wire and its' bypass, just make sure the Viper
is in Manual Transmission Mode and connect the Neutral Safety wire to the (-) Parking Brake.

Here is the install guide for the DEI DLPK :

http://www.xpresskit.com/DocumentDownload.aspx?documentid=6144&productid=122&firmwareid=1632 
Follow this wiring guide.  Notice the DLPK watches the Vipers (-) While Running signal and the Accessory wire
to know when a remote start is requested. Also notice this message in  the upper left corner of the guide :
WARNING: All Ignition and accessory wires of the
remote starter must be connected at the ignition barrel.

Lastly, did the DLPK successfully program to the vehicle?

Soldering is fun!
ozmitsu03 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
the light was solid i turned the ignition to the on position and it flashed. that means it programmed according to the directions so yes i would assume its programmed
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  

Sounds like the DLPK programmed OK.

I am not familiar with the Viper VSS5000.  Are there any error blinks / flashes from the Viper after the un-successful remote start?  Most Vipers have to be set to run in Tach mode for manual transmission vehicles.  Did you program the Viper for Tach Mode, connect a Tach wire & do the Tach learn process?

Soldering is fun!
ozmitsu03 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
what is the relay for that i have to hook up to the red and white wire in the car and it runs to the status output on the viper
ozmitsu03 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
ok to get it to start i need the accessory wire to drop the voltage th system doesnt do it by itself i need to know how to wire up a relay and to what wires to get it to drop voltage
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
are you powering all of the heavy gauge red wires on the relay pack?  have you verified voltage on the viper's orange accessory wire, pink ignition wire and then the accessory dropping during crank? 
Advanced
ozmitsu03 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
yes all wires are hooked up the accesory wire on the viper unit needs to drop from 12v to 0v for it to start the vehicle so i need the relay diagram for the setup to have the accessory to be powerd at 12v and drop to 0v thats how these cobalts start there is no starter wire on these cars to be used its all done through voltage drop
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
The accessory will drop all by itself and the vehicle will start. That's that the accessory does. No extra relays are needed.
All you need connected on the main ignition harness is red connected to a constant 12v source, pink connected to ignition which should be yellow, and orange connected accessory which is brown.
If you have those connections and it's still not working then your problem lies elsewhere.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic