icon

my setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
1qwk96gt 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
So I wanted a little bit of bass in my daily driver. As I feel it makes songs sound better. So I found a cheap set up since I didnt want to enter any bass competitions, hooked everything up and all was well for about 7 months. Then my uncle wanted me to give him a ride out of state, so I go to pick him up and as I am helping him clean out his rental car I see he is CRAMMING his suite case in my trunk while saying "there seems to be some kind of electrical box in my way". Then says "I got it". So as I take him to his destination I notice my sub woofer no longer works. GREAT. I check it and he ripped the ground out of the amp so Im like no biggie I will just hook it back up, Well now I have hooked it up and the sub woofer is making this weird buzzing noise almost sounds like a space ship. If I cut the radio down it is still there it only goes away if I cut the radio off or if I play with a switch on the front that says FRONT FP/LP/HP. If I move that switch around it will go away. Did it burn out that channel of the amp? Thanks
Ohh btw I dont know if it matters but this is the setup
MTX Thunder 404
12" Sony 1200w subwoofer
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2011 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
Product names and model numbers will help a ton, but yes... it is possible he fried something. Help us out with more info regarding your gear, and we'll alll be able to make a far more of an informed decision and diagnosis...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 19, 2011 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

I am going to go WAY out on a limb and guess that he has a Pioneer Deck.  If that is correct, Look at the following page.

http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html

1qwk96gt 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
You are correct it is a pioneer so are we thinking when the ground came loose it fried something in my cd player? If so I looked at that page and I am somewhat confused about what it is telling me to do. Sorry I am a newbie to all this.
The amp is a
MTX thunder 404
the subwoofer is a 1200w 12" sony explode.
Im not sure what other info will be needed.
Thanks
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 19, 2011 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

When your amp lost ground, it tried to ground through your RCA cable.  Pioneer decided to put a fuse in the path of the RCA shield connection. 

The Model number of the radio will help.

1qwk96gt 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2011 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Okay I went out and checked it is a Pioneer DEN-3900MP do you think the radio is messed up now.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 19, 2011 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
The radio has a blown surface mount fuse that is located underneath the circuit board.  There is a simple do it yourself repair available.  Go to Autozone, or some other automotive parts retailer and purchase a fuse holder with a small wire.  ReRead that link I posted. 
1qwk96gt 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2011 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
Okay I read it and will do that tomorrow. Just curious as I was reading it the article says this is a "temporary repair" why do they say temp?
ac0j 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2011 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
The temporary repair will work.  Pioneer does fuse the rca's other companies do not, but then it burns a piece out of the printed circuit board instead. 
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

It says temporary repair only because it is done external of the deck.  If done properly it can outlast the deck.  If you want to repair it properly, you can.  If you are able to remove the circuit board from the deck, and provide me with some high resolution, clase up photos of the area around where the RCA jacks connect to the board, I can help you repair it.

They use the fuse to protect your vehicle from a particular amplifier failure.  With this particular failure, as stated above, it will open a trace on the circuit board.  Worse case scenario, it can melt your RCA cable and catch your car on fire.  Though this particular amp failure is rare, very rare, it will not catch your car on fire with the fuse.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic