icon

zapco 500.1 amp used at home

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2011 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
I know this is not a common question, but my home subwoofer suddenly died yesterday, after keeping in storage for 4 years, it worked 1 day and the second day, just dead. I opened it and see it works on 120 volt DC (as there is a bridge rectifier on the small supply board) which i checked.       Since box and speaker are basically in new condition, and I have a Zapco 500.1 amp that i used to use and is sitting idle, want to use the zapco 500.1 to power my sub.
Now what kind of power do i need to give to the zapco? I know its 12 volt, but not sure how much amps this thing takes.
Also i lost my Symbilink adapter and wondering if anyone has pinouts to connect the balanced output (looks like PS/2 mouse cable) to connect to RCA from my amp.
Aout the dead sub, its an Infinity IL120s.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 26, 2011 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

You will need a 12 volt power supply that is capable of delivering at least 35 amps continuous.  It is not going to be cheap. 

markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2011 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the response.   Would I be making a smarter decision by selling my zapco 500.1 and purchasing a home sub like a Klipsch or Velodyne for example?   Actually i have more Alpine amps etc that I might put all together in ebay or someplace to get rid of as i dont need it anymore. I was hoping to use the Zapco but if i have to spend more money and not get the results I need or just be speculative, I guess my best bet is to not spend any more time and research.   Thanks again for helping me decide!   
Just makes me a bit sad to throw away such a nice Sub as the IL120s which I have not used more than for a month or so.
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
Hey just get a plate amp from parts express. They have several and if it does not fit in your box. Just place it off to the side out of the way. They work great.
     Or if your after a new home sub check out SVS or HSU they are internet company so no middle man. And yes they are very good subs. I thinks if i remember right there are a few members here who have them and just check out a few home theater sights and ask about them.
$189
zapco 500.1 amp used at home - Last Post -- posted image.
Parts-Express
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2011 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the suggestion.
Yesterday i was about to purchase the Velodyne Optimum 12 but couldnt find it in any store as i wanted to hear it before I threw away $1500 plus tax, on it.
Glad I waited as i'm now going to get what you suggested. I did want to keep my original sub box and speaker as they are practically unused. for that price, I dont mind even if im making a mistake. Would be a much better mistake than regretting after speinding nearly 2k.
So thanks so much for your excellent suggestion!
dragon51 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
HSU and SVS are well worth the money, and your not going to touch there price to performance from a box store. Below I have listed a home theater sight I am on. I am Deerhunter on their. We all used to be on soundandvission forum but now we are here. Its a great group of guys. There is no snake oil bs here that's what I also really like.
http://www.theaudioannex.com
dragon51 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2011 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
Here is a new one from HSU it's at a introductory price.
The rose is $999
The Black is   $879
zapco 500.1 amp used at home - Last Post -- posted image. HSU
zapco 500.1 amp used at home - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic