the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

squeaky noise or something of that sort?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
k.gren 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2011 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all. My buddy asked me to see if I could find a fix to his problem. He has 2 12" Pioneer Champion Pro series subs in a sealed box. Not positive of the amp, but that is not the issue. Every time one of the subs moves in and out, there is a "squeak" like noise. Any idea what is causing this? Thanks!
~K.Gren~
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2011 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
There is a mouse in the box..... Gently push on the sub and check if it binds or rubs any where in its travel.  If there is than most likely you have a melted former around the voice coil, and a paper weight.  There could be a small air leak causeing a whisle noise.  There is a chance the basket is cracked or the magnet is loose.  Try holding the speaker and pulling on the magment, if there is play you found your squeak.  Either way, your better off with the mouse.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 27, 2011 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
I am voting for the melted voice coil thingy from above.
k.gren 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2011 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
are you sure about the possibility of the melted voice coil? because the sub still works and sounds great, aside from the squeak.. ha
~K.Gren~
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
It could be melted just enough to bubble up the former material which reduces clearence between coil and pole piece, rubbing slightly.  The sub was cooled off just short of a melt down.  Have fix quite a few of these.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2011 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
Noisy woofer motor = overheated.  It may still function (or partially function) but it has seen too much power or too much heat and it is on the way out.  Recone time.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic