icon

04 grand cherokee rs doesn't see key?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
raab3485 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2011 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
I need help with a weird issue. I've got a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I installed a Viper 5901 into this spring. I used a 556UW for the key, and everything worked perfectly.....All summer that is until now. All of a sudden, when you remote start it, it flashes the key light in the dash, and shuts off after running for a second. My first thought was that the ring around the key cylinder might have shifted, so I played with that.... no luck. Then, I pulled the key out of the 556u, and started the Jeep with it to see if the key had somehow gone bad. Nope, worked fine. Then, I put the key in the cylinder so that the chime came on, and tried to remote start it. Surely with a working key in the cylinder, it should work right? No! It won't even remote start with the key in the ignition! But if I start it normally with the key, it works fine! Does anybody have a clue as to what the heck is going on here? I'm stumped.
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2011 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Check your remote starts main wires to the ignition harness. If it would not start with a key in the ignition, It sounds like something is not getting powered up properly.
raab3485 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
I'm going to double check all of those next. I didn't have a chance to because we are driving it right now on a road trip to Missouri. I didn't initially think it would be any of those though, because it cranks and fires up and then runs for a couple of seconds, but then stalls out as the key light flashes.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 25, 2011 at 7:16 AM / IP Logged  
One thing that can't hurt and doesn't cost anything to try....
Start the engine with the key.
Then put the car into pit-stop mode. That is, transmission in park, foot off the brake, push the button on the remote to activate the remote starter.
Within a couple of seconds, you should hear the unit click, then the parking lights should stay on steady.
Turn the key off and remove it from the ignition.
Observe if the car is still running, if the heater blower works, if there are any dash warning lights. If you powered up the second-accessory in the Jeep, see if the radio and wipers work.
This is just a quick test to see if the remote starter is still powering up all of your ignition and accessory circuits like it should. If pit-stop mode doesn't work properly, you'll know to go in and check the fuses....and then if the fuses are good, check the connections you made to the ignition wires.
Also, did you hook up the tachometer wire? If you did, go into programming to "learn" the tach rate again. If it learns, your tach connection is still good......if it doesn't learn, go check your tach connection.
Just a couple of quick and easy things you can try to narrow it down.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 25, 2011 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  
Also, Chryslers won't start if they see two keys at the same time.
If you're putting a key in the ignition to try the remote start, make sure the U module is either empty or unplugged, and make sure you don't have a second key to the car on your key chain.
ropuma 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2011 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
If you used 556u. put the key inside the module try to remote star,at the same time play with the two plugs at the module ,if car stay running you have bad module,this plugs goes bad in this modules if they are secure.
ropuma 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2011 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
I mean if they are not secure.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic