icon

sub wiring different ohms together

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s2ntburd 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2011 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  

i have 2 12inch 2 ohm dvc subs and 2 12 inch 4ohm dvc subs.  Can i wire them together somehow into either

1,2 or 4 ohms?   I have one amp that is 1 ohm stable and is a one channel amp.   The subs are jl audio w3.

if anyone can tell me or show me a diagram i would really appreciate it.  Thanks

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 14, 2011 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

What amp do you have?  How much power does it produce into 1 ohm?

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
In parallel it'll be 1.3 Ohms.
But be wary of the power sharing - ie twice the power in the 2R than the 4R (R=Ohms).
That's just FYI - ImAmIdiot will guide you through.
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 14, 2011 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
I was thinking of running the dual 2s as 4 ohms each, and using only one coil each of the 4 ohm drivers.  This will work if his amp is not too powerful for the single coil of the two 4 ohm drivers.  This will be give him the best chance of equal movement of each driver.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2011 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
I was thinking of running the dual 2s as 4 ohms each, and using only one coil each of the 4 ohm drivers.  This will work if his amp is not too powerful for the single coil of the two 4 ohm drivers.  This will be give him the best chance of equal movement of each driver.

The best solution by far.

Support the12volt.com
s2ntburd 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2011 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
I have a hifonics bmi2600.   It runs 2600 at 1 ohm 1700 2 ohms.  The amp will run at 1ohm or anything highier fine.     Can you please show me how to wire them to run them.   Thanks
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 15, 2011 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
As long as his amp will not be too much power for the drivers powered by only one coil. Before you do this, we really need to know what amp you have.
s2ntburd 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2011 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
s2ntburd wrote:
I have a hifonics Hifonics Brutus BXI2610D .   It runs 2600 @ 1 ohm, 1700 @2 ohms, and 850 @ 4ohms.  The amp will run at 1ohm or anything highier fine.     Can you please show me how to wire them to run them.   Thanks
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 15, 2011 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
That amp supposedly does 2600 watts into 1 ohm. The Dual 4s that you will be using only one coil on will handle only about 70% of the power that the speaker is rated. You may be able to blow your woofers on demand if you choose to. A responsible listener may be alright. I have no idea how you listen to your music, nor do I know if you will be alright connecting them this way. That will be up to you. Simply Connect the voice coils of the Dual 2 ohm drivers in series. Do that to both woofers, When you finish with the 2 ohm drivers, connect your speaker wire to the 2 unused terminals and run them out of the box. On the dual 4s, connect a speaker wire to only one voice coil, run them out of the box. Connect all 4 positive wires to the positive terminals of the amp. Does not matter which positive terminal, they both are internally connected. Connect all 4 negative wires to the negative terminals of the amp.
s2ntburd 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2011 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Ok thanks.  What will the ohms be at the amp?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic