the12volt.com spacer
icon

wiring relays, auxillary fuse box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
78mc-bbc 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2011 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 78mc-bbc
ok, thanks for the help again. So after taking some thought about what you said about using fuse boxes from other cars i thought of my daily driver which is an old chevy tahoe, and has this fuse box in the engine compartment. Take a look and let me know what you think on using something like this?? Also the two studs on the fuse box are constant 12 volt
wiring relays, auxillary fuse box - Page 2 -- posted image.
wiring relays, auxillary fuse box - Page 2 -- posted image.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2011 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
Hospitals are great - they now have bedside internet access!
Jest kidding - I've done my toe-in, and the GF is cool - provided I get there within 50 minutes...
And noting my pseudo-withdrawal of my comments re your linked fusebox....
But yeah - that box looks great. Maybe (too?) big, but if space is okay.
In fact I'm intending(!) to do similar with my Chevy Wasp. (Well, it's not Chevy, but its next incarnation was as the Chevy LUV which became the KB & Rodeo (Isuzu).)
I'm mounting a 1991-1995 Rodeo -cum- Fontera fuse box. Very similar to yours pictured, but uses JIDECO (or JECS?) relays, ATS blades, and 2 L-type flinks. Two relay bases can be changed (for the 3 main types - 2xSPST, 2-opposing-SPST, and SPDT), and I've extracted the fuse connectors to reinsert or rewire as desired.
It's a matter of taste, and a desire for masochism.
It's more a case of what you think, and can do, and then if <whatever> is suitable.
But I like "standard" vehicle stuff in vehicles - even if from a 30-year younger vehicle. After all, it's what the original maker would have done. (Did I mention cheaper?)
Also probably more possibilities. You get to understand and can reconfigure later.
In my case, the excess of fuses solved another dilemna - wanting to be able to easily swap between outer permanent low-beams with traditional hi/low beams without complex switching and reconfiguration. (I have 4 headlights.) That will now be done via the fuses: In one case, the 2 fuses go there, for the other, I just swap their position. Simple!
It's a bit of work, but IMO cheaper (from a wreckers etc) and better. (My original firewall mounted fuse box consists of four 3AG glass fuses, and its 30A light circuit burnt out years ago. But added lighting, cooling fan, and other relays now reside beside the battery. You may be familiar with that scenario LOL?)
As for grabbing other fuseboxes, cut the wires as long as possible. I prefer to be able to terminate original wires than have to extend them.
Oh oh - 40 minutes, and I have yet to get cleaned up!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2011 at 3:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
This thing about Peter and myself being mentally linked is becoming surreal at 12,000 miles apart or is it because we are both giving you the correct answers?
Look at the diagram I last posted, my suggestion on distributed power. Now this is the strangest part, I kept thinking about the fuse boxes from VW Golf/Rabbit/Jetta Mk 2 and 3. Also late 90s Ford Fiesta, nice and compact, except that model was never sold in the US.
They used a small gauge ignition feed from the ignition switch, 3 separate lines, permanent, ignition and lighting, and an internal bus bar and room for about 8 standard (Bosch/Tyco etc.) relays.
Yes those raw component fuse and relay boxes were exactly what I was thinking of. I've had a 6 way in various cars for at least 10 years with no problems. Lastly gauges drawing 4 amps? That's a bit excessive isn't it?
78mc-bbc 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2011 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 78mc-bbc
well i double checked the amp on the gauges directly from Autometer's website and that's what they advise.
Also the size of the box i am showing above from the Tahoe is actually pretty small around 6"x4" or 15.24cm X 10.16cm for you metric type peoples.
chiefpeters 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2015 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chiefpeters
I added LED lights to my 91 Buick Riviera and it came with fuse adapters to plug right into fuses in box....said to use radio or power windows....I plugged into 10 amp radio fuse and the lights would not shut off even when ignition was off....I thought radio was switched instead of constant....Then I ran it to ISLIGN Fuse thinking that was ignition so it would have 12 volts and be switched.....That caused the car to need a jump off with cables and a computer message with electrical problem......The lights now don't come on and I took and put old fuses back in to make it normal....What happened and where do I tap in to run these LED lights....
?????Thanks
chief peters
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2015 at 6:05 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Ign. + and side (parking/running) light + auto operation and legal.
MODS, can this post be relocated.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2015 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
EDIT: Never mind. This a thread-necro. I didn't see it was 4 years old brought back to life.
Page of 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic