icon

2008 impala radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheDouche 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2011 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
So my buddy has a 2008 impala LS and he wants to install a double DIN navi in his car. I was wondering what modules I would need to install this radio. He wants to use a clarion NX501. He doesn't have steering wheel controls so that should be easier.
I've installed radios before but I just want to make sure I'm getting the right components for him.
For that particular vehicle will I need a dash kit? Also what's the best way to gain access to the radio? It looks like you should be able to just pull the panel around it straight out but I want to make sure there are no hidden screws
chadpcb 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2011 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  

You can go to Metraonline.com and pull up his vehicle to find out the required components needed.

Did a quick search for you but it looks like that dash will only take a din and a half...

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 29, 2011 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
Metra 95-3305 Double Din radio installation kit.
Pac-audio.com OS-4 wiring harness with included antenna adapter.
Metra does make an equivalent harness, they have several listed but I have no idea which one it is.
TheDouche 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2011 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
It looks like a double din opening. So I have to take it out and see which harness I need?
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2011 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
does he have/want to retain onstar? if not get the metra LC-GMRC-01
TheDouche 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
Im sure he has it and wants to keep it but I'll ask. Is it more to keep onstar or will I still be just using the OS-4 harness?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
the LC-GMRC is just a chime module to retain the factory warning chimes and it will give you an accessory wire to turn the new radio on. the pac os-4 retains onstar and will do both Bose and non-amplified chevy systems, its just a matter of putting a plug in a different spot on the os-4. the os-4 is almost double the price than if you just bought the chime module and said bye bye to onstar. you will need a dash kit i think its the metra 95-3305 for the double din but dont quote me on that.
yes the panel around the radio does just pop out. its held on with metal clips but be very careful because the clips will probably be pretty tight and theres about 8 clips in total. use a plastic pry tool to get underneath it and pop each clip gently. if you dont use a plastic pry tool you will probably break the radio trim and almost certainly mark up the plastic around the dash.
from there its 6 - 8 7mm screws, the ac panel unscrews first then you can take the radio out.
oh, you will also need an antenna adapter but i think the os-4 actually comes with one. if it doesnt then you will need to buy the metra 40-cr10
hope that helped
TheDouche 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2011 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
Wow thank you so much. That actually helps a lot.
I guess this is just a little detail question but being that I will have to mount a gps antenna where would be a good spot in that particular vehicle to mount it? I know in my truck I was able to find a steel bar all the way by the from of the windshield under the plastic dash so it can't be seen and it works well. With that said I was just wondering if anyone knew these cars well enough and would know? I haven't dove into the dash at all so any heads up would be greatly appreciated
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2011 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
i dont know of any specific spot in an impala but ive never tried to put a gps antenna under the dash before. i guess it would work but definitely not as good as at least being on top of the dash. best place is always on the roof but i never put one there if i dont have to because there are too many A-holes out there who like to cut them off for fun.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic