the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

adding another battery, isolator needed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trae08 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2011 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
Im planning on adding another battery to my truck, Can i just hook the pos of the new battery to the pos of the old battery and the neg to the chassis or do i need to buy a battery isolator as well?
trae08 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2011 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
I dont think this makes a difference but here it is. 1999 dodge ram 1500
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
IMO - DEFINITELY an isolator. Especially since you are adding new to old, though I recommend an isolator anyhow.
In your case, maybe a simple manual "battery isolator" switch will do. They are typically rated for 200A-400A and are common in competition vehicles. They usually cost ~$20. Put that between the battery +ve interconnection (though the ground could be used instead).   
But you will need to remember to manually disconnect when not in use. The longer batteries are paralleled when not being used, the greater the chance of both batteries failing.
Similarly, a relay that is manually switched - probably from the ignition. (That may be your best solution?)   
If you have a charge light, I recommend the UIBI (search the12volt else google "UIBI isolator").
(But...) The UIBI is a DIY isolator that is merely a relay sized to your requirement which is turned on when the charge-light goes off - ie, the vehicle is charging. It can be easily modified to connect when cranking if that is the reason for your extra battery (merely add 2 diodes (20c IN4004 etc) and connect to the starter solenoid or cranking switch.
And it assumes the alternator's (regulator's) charge-light circuit is able to energise the relay or a smaller intermediate/buffer relay (typically 60ma - 250mA @ 12V).
If you have an electric fuel pump, chances are it is controlled the same as the "whilst cranking and whilst charging" modified UIBI. The you could energise your isolating relay's coil from the fuel-pump relay's output. (Fuel-pump relays are the same as UIBIs - except for those that also work on oil pressure - not that that is an issue for battery isolation, but it is farken stupid for fuel-pump control!!!!)
There are also voltage-controlled isolators, but get one with a cranking or manual trigger if you want paralleled batteries for cranking, and if you don't mind paying the extra money (and IMO, putting up with unnecessary voltage-controlled isolator issues). But that wold be the common option if you did not have some charging indicator (ie, a charge or not-charging light).
If you decide to hard-wire the 2 batteries, then they should be matched - ie, the same type, size, age, history, temperature etc with "symmetrical" or balanced connections (ie, same +ve to +ve gauge and length as the -ve to -ve, with the vehicle's +12V coming from one battery and ground (-ve) from the other).
trae08 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Yes connecting in parallel is what i am wanting to do. I Dont have any aftermarket stereo or anything mainly want it for the added capacity.
ideally id like to hook it all up and not have to worry about it anymore. Could you suggest a good battery isolator for me?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2011 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
My above-mentioned relay controlled by the IGN +12V will probably suit.
Find a continuously rated relay with the current you require (eg, full cranking current - assume only the 2nd battery is cranking).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic