icon

no output from amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pv13 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2011 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a kicker 1200.1 amplifier and a kicker 12 inch L7 in my cousin's 1996 BMW M3 the other day. Everything powered up, but there was no output from the subwoofer.
I got 12 volts on the power and remote wires,and 0.5 ohms on the ground wire. I took out the speaker wire from the amp and checked the ohms, and it had a proper 2 ohm load.
I ran a new set of rca cables outside the car from his pioneer avh-p6500dvd head unit to the amp, and still no sound.
What could it be? Is the amp bad? Is the headunit bad? Is there anything else I can test?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2011 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
unless you have a spare amp to temporarily swap into the system to test, then it will be hard to test. make sure you have the rcas plugged into the right outputs. you could also try to put a line output converter on the speaker wires and plug the rca into that just to see what happens, if you still get no sound after that then i would suspect your amp is no good. if you do get sound then you have a blown output on the pioneer.
you also might need a better ground, 0.5 ohms is kinda high for a ground.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 30, 2011 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure you  did not wire one of the voice coils out of phase.
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2011 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Make sure you  did not wire one of the voice coils out of phase.
If I did, would the DMM still read 2 ohms? Also would I get any sound from the sub? Because I did put a 9 volt battery to the speaker wires to pop the sub to make sure there was a connection.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 30, 2011 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it will read 2 ohms even if one coil is out of phase.  You need to pop both coils at the same time, if the speaker moves, then one coil is not out of phase, if it makes a small pop but does not move, then one coil is out of phase.
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, I'll check it out tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2011 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
Everything is wired properly. The amp powers on, but still no output. And i checked my ground again, and it reads 00.2 ohms. Is there anything I can try, short of putting in another amp to test it?
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2011 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
unless you have a spare amp to temporarily swap into the system to test, then it will be hard to test. make sure you have the rcas plugged into the right outputs. you could also try to put a line output converter on the speaker wires and plug the rca into that just to see what happens, if you still get no sound after that then i would suspect your amp is no good. if you do get sound then you have a blown output on the pioneer.
you also might need a better ground, 0.5 ohms is kinda high for a ground.
Where would I put the line output converter?
casofwaco 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2011 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
most LOC that ive worked with just tag into the rear speaker outputs. since u already have rca's ran u can install it behind the radio. Have u checked that the sub output was turned on in the head unit. i sometimes have brain farts and forget to turn it on when doing an install.
BAD Boy Emergency Vehicle Lighting
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2011 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
casofwaco wrote:
most LOC that ive worked with just tag into the rear speaker outputs. since u already have rca's ran u can install it behind the radio. Have u checked that the sub output was turned on in the head unit. i sometimes have brain farts and forget to turn it on when doing an install.
Okay.And yeah, the stereo settings are kind of confusing, but I did make sure the subwoofer setting was switched on. I'm trying to talk him into getting a more modern deck like a new alpine, as I feel this pioneer has run its course.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic