the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

alt whine from audiocontrol eql

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2011 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
hello everyone. i have a quick question. a few days ago i installed an entire system minus any subwoofers. heres what i have in the order that it is installed in my system:
jvc chameleon head unit
audiocontrol EQL
kicker kx3 crossover
alpine PDX-F4 amp
diamond audio D9 2-way components
knukonceptz kollosus 4ga power and ground wire
knukonceptz krystal kable RCA's
Everything is working as it should and it sounds great but i get a slight alternator whine that i can hear if the music goes quiet or if i turn the stereo down.
it doesnt get louder with the music it pretty much stays constant except that it gets louder when audio is running through the lines as opposed to the radio just being off. i only get noise if the truck is running.
my rca is ran to avoid coming close to any power wires that i can see, all signal processing is done on the passenger side and the amp is under the driver seat.
all ground spots were sanded down to bare metal
the kicker kx3 and the audiocontrol are mounted right next to each other on the same piece of wood and they share a common ground point although the ground wire is a little long for my tastes, maybe 18 inches or so. do you think this could be a problem for them to be next to each other and grounded to the same spot?
the only way that i can get the whine to be quieter is to turn down the output on the kx3, im running a by amplified system with the kx3 as the main crossover so naturally the high piched noise only comes from the front output that i have running to the tweeters.
for all intents and purposes i dont think that i should have any noise in my system which is why im having a hard time tracking this down.
this is the strange thing, the audiocontrol has a built in ground isolator switch that it says you should flip if you have noise, the switch is under the cover you have to take out some screws to get to it. so i try to do this and i find out that there is no switch inside. the circuit board has a spot for it and its labeled on the board too but there is no switch to be found. do you think that not having a switch at all could be the reason for my noise?
alt whine from audiocontrol eql -- posted image.
this is the spot on the board where the switch should be and its marked with two lines drawn on top and bottom that go straight to a blank spot on the board where it even looks like it was pre wired to have a switch there. so with that said, can anyone confirm for me that it is supposed to be there and that it is missing on mine. the only other option would be that it might have been taken out of the design for some reason. and for the record i didnt break it off and the switch wasnt inside the case as if it had been broken off, its like it was never there to begin with.
so please, if anyone has any ideas i would welcome them. thanks
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 05, 2011 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
I do not know why you are surprised that you have noise.  Audiocontrol units were notorious for engine noise.  Try a ground loop isolator on the input of the EQL.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2011 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
i know about their noise issues but honestly no body else really makes any good equalizers for cars these days that dont require you to use specific head units. i really wanted a hald din eq but nowadays they are all the same and they are all garbage. this was all i could find that had the features i was looking for and fit my budget. if you can point me to something better i guess ill just have to save up the money to get it.
do you have any opinion about the missing switch?
do you think i could put a capacitor on the power supply to stop the noise?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 05, 2011 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

The reason you can not find a decent outboard EQ is because any decent deck has a digital EQ built in.  I seem to remember the ground loop isolator usually taking care of this issue. 

They may have eliminated the switch to cut cost.  I never remember that switch fixing any issues.  A capacitor will not get rid of the noise.  The noise is not coming from the supply. At least that was the case 20 years ago.  If the unit is the same as it was back then, or if it is a unit from back then, I am pretty sure the ground loop isolator will fix it.  If you do use one, most of them have gain.  This means that they are directional, there is an input and an output, if you connect it backwards the gain will become a reduction.  A Pac-audio.com SNi-1 has a gain of 1 : 1.25, if installed backwards it becomes 1 : .75

soundnsecurity 
Posted: September 05, 2011 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
well my JVC has a built in 7 band but i like how the eql has 7 bands for left channel and right channel plus it has 6 extra bands just for bass frequencies, i really love the equalizer except for the noise it makes.
im pretty sure myself that a GLI would fix the noise but i still would rather not have to use one at all. i dont know if it would alter the audio signal in any way which is something i dont want to have happen. thats wy i was trying to get other ideas but i guess ill try it out anyway
ac john 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2011 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, John here from AudioControl. I'm guessing you have a very old board. Newer boards will have a jumper pad there. I'll get back to you as soon as I talk to the engineer who did that board...it was before my time.
But I want to mention two things:
a. Since I have been here (4 years) we have had no noise issues. Those came from the fact that the very early units had a great deal of gain. Up to about 50dB. So, if there was a grounding issue you had to fix it or you would hear it. The company long ago changed the gain structure to about 24dB total.
b. A ground loop isolator will indeed fix a whine. However it will also reek havoc with the bass response. PAC actually used to tell you that they sacrifice bass response to get rid of the whine. Avoid them if at all possible.
If you like you can call me at 425.775.8461 after 12:00 pacific time and we can run through the system and how to change the signal ground reference point on that board.
John
JBorges
ac john 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2011 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
Here's an experiment...Take a jumper wire and short the shield of one of your RCAs at the signal inputs to the ground connection at the power plug. What happens to the whine?
JBorges
remarkable53 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2011 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
 Just for my curiosity what vehicle is this?  Are you certain that the AudioControl EQL is the culprit?  Have you bypassed the EQL and the noise gone away?  If I'm reading you right the audio signal goes from the deck to the EQL than out to the Kicker KX3 Crossover and from there the Alpine PDX-F4 amplifier?  Have you removed either the EQL or the Kicker or both and see what happens when it is just the signal from deck to amp?  Also, on the PDX do you have the settings on full range/ hp?  What is the setting on the deck as well?  Are you utilizing the Diamond Audio Crossovers and are they attenuated at +3db or +6db?  The devil is in the details.
remarkable53
soundnsecurity 
Posted: September 10, 2011 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
ooh cool, alright im going to do my best to answer as much as possible.
ac john, thanks for the input and im kind of sad to hear that i have an old EQL board, i guess new is new no matter how long its been sitting on a shelf, whats strange is that even the manual that came in the sealed box mentions this non-existant switch but oh well.
just for fun i got a PAC GLI and it took out about 80% of the noise which is fine for now but i want it all gone, im already loving the processor so i would hate to have to change it out. i havent shorted the RCAs yet or really done any hard core testing because ive just been a little busy. i work on sound all day so its hard for me to motivate myself to work on my own stuff, but ill definitely try these out. and ill try to give you a call at some point.
remarkable53, no i have not truly isolated the noise for sure 100%, i havent bypassed either the audiocontrol or the kicker. what pulls me toward the audiocontrol being the culprit is that i cant get the noise to go away by turning down the gains on the audiocontrol which means that its either in the output of the EQL or the input of the kicker.
ive had another kicker kx3 in my last system and it was extremely quiet and i suspect this one is too. if it was coming from the output of the kicker then i probably wouldn't be able to stop the whine at all.
plus its hard to bypass the kx3 because it is my only crossover in the system. im not using the passive crossovers that came with the diamonds and im not running the hpf on my deck and the amp is set to full pass. the only other filter is the subsonic which is prebuilt into the EQL and set at 31Hz i think. im afraid that if i bypass it ill damage the tweeters in some way.
i hope this answers your questions
soundnsecurity 
Posted: September 10, 2011 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
ok, i just went out and bypassed the EQL and i still get noise with just the kx3 hooked up and no noise filter inline, however, the noise isnt alternator whine, it doesnt go up and down with engine rpm it is just a steady high pitched noise.
the noise i had before with everything hooked up and no noise filter was basically a combination of alternator whine probably from the EQL and this constant noise from the kicker.
so, any thoughts?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic