icon

components or 2 ways for the rear

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davidas24 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2011 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
I have everything i need for my stereo except for the speakers for the front and rear and i can't decide and don't really know what to go with. I'm looking for the best and clearest sound possible with great volume also to not let the subs overtake them. The fronts are 5 1/4 and the rears are 6 1/2 for a 94 toyota supra. I've read mixed articles on using a component system for the rear vs a regular 2-way. I'm not sure which way to go and would like some advice on that. Also I would like to know what the BEST speakers for those sizes under $1000 dollars a pair would be please. Any input would be much appreciated, thank you
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2011 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
My humble suggestion is to take whatever money you were planning to spend on rear speakers and use it instead to get better front speakers and a better amp to power them.  Spend as little as possible on rear speakers, or don't use them at all.  But that's just me...
Support the12volt.com
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2011 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
With that being said grab some well recorded music that you like and start to listen to as many speakers as you can in your price range.
If you must insist on rear speakers don't spend a lot of money just get the same brand as the ones you use in the front. You have a supera who really is going to be in the back to even here the rear speakers?
davidas24 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2011 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
That is very true and I never thought about not even using rear speakers. But are 5 1/4" components really going to have that much volume and clarity to not be overpowered with good (not crazy) bass? Just curious, if that is the case I will spend more money on the fronts. And I already have the amp..it's a hifonics 150x4 @4 ohms. That should power pretty much all of the speakers I was looking at with ease. Are the larger of the speakers usually in the front in most vehicles or not? Seems odd to me to have the larger ones in the rear, maybe not i don't know. Thank you
dragon51 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2011 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
Ya good 5 1/4 will provide plenty of musical quality with and volume.
The car I had before it got totaled, I was running a old school Hifonics seris VIII Boltar rated at 200x2 I forget how much bridged. It would hold 140db and my mids were made up of some 5 1/4 Boston Acoustics rally series component sepeakers. Running off a Hifonincs series VIII Vulcan amp rated at 100x2 at 4ohm.
I still had plenty of vocals from my Bostons and am still using the Bostons in my wifes car, along with the Vulcan amp.
Ya may have to tweak on a crossover a bit to keep some of the bass from getting to the mids. I did hence why I still have them and they still sound as good as ever. I really love there silk dome tweeter.
ichaos 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2011 at 5:14 AM / IP Logged  
Can you modify the front locations to accept 6.5" mids? Even if it costs you some $ in fab work, it would be worth it to put most of your budget towards that and a nice set of larger components in the front. If not, you can still achieve very good results from 5.25" speakers, provided that you have enough power to driver them to the output level you want without excessive distortion.
Either way, I would not recommend spending more than $100 tops on a pair of coax for the back. It just isn't worth it, even if you do have the processing for proper rear speaker integration.
Also, don't forget about sound dampening - especially the doors.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
ichaos wrote:
Also, don't forget about sound dampening - especially the doors.
Do you mean damping? Nobody wants wet doors, methinks...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ichaos 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2011 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
Ouch. So much for making a good first impression on this board.
Regardless, in this context, that spelling of the term is still legitimate.
dragon51 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2011 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
Hell it is if you live in Seattle! My doors were always wet, the water would just end up seeping the outside window rubber thing'e yes thats a technical term! lol

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic