Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ichaos 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2011 at 5:58 AM / IP Logged  
2002 Dodge Dakota Sport (Quad Cab)
Starter/Alarm is a Compustar CM5000 w/ RF-P2WSS
This particular truck is equipped with keyless entry, a "passive OEM security system" and has a black key (not the gray transponder key). As far as I can tell, when using the factory FOB, this "security" feature consists of a panic button on the FOB, horn honk & parking light flash upon lock (arm?) and dome light & cargo light supervision upon unlock (disarm?). When locked with the FOB, there is no security light on the dash and if the doors are opened manually there is no alarm triggered. You can hop right in and start the vehicle from the key, even if it was never unlocked/disarmed via the FOB.
The remote starter works as it should, and if the lock/unlock outputs are connected to the standard WHITE/ green lock wire with ~315 & ~620 Ohm resistors the CM5000 does lock/unlock the doors like it is supposed to.
However, that configuration does NOT trigger the OEM dome light supervision circuit, which is what I would like for it to do.
The strange thing is that in addition to the WHITE/ green lock wire, there is also a lt. GREEN/ orange wire in the plug right where it is supposed to be for vehicles which are equipped with an "active" OEM alarm. When tested, this wire clearly demonstrates a change in resistance, but it pulses too fast for my meter to capture it.
According to the documentation I have, if this lt. GREEN/ orange wire is negatively pulsed through a 1.5K Ohm resistor, it is supposed to disarm the OEM security feature, and a second pulse should unlock the doors. Likewise, if pulsed though a 620 Ohm resistor, this wire is supposed to lock the doors. Presumably, this should trigger the OEM dome light supervision as well. Yes or no?   
The problem is that this approach does not work at all. I'm as certain as I can be that I have the right wire, but I cannot figure out how to use the CM5000 to lock/unlock the doors & trigger the OEM supervision feature simultaneously.
Am I simply using the wrong values of resistors, or am I going about this all wrong? Is it even possible to trigger the OEM dome light timer this way like it is in other domestic vehicles, or not?
The CM5000 does have a dome light supervision output, but it isn't strong enough to ground out the circuit. I realize that a relay can be utilized to accomplish that, but I'd rather figure out a way to utilize the OEM circuit, mainly to determine if it can be done.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2011 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

Have you tried an Unlock by touching the WHITE/ Green Lock wire with a 330 ohm resistor going

directly to chassis ground?

The Compustar CM5x00 Lock and Unlock outputs are rated at 250 mA ( which is pretty standard for
most remote starters ) and the unit does not have internal lock relays. 

Here is a note from DEI :  ( Their systems also have 250 mA Lock and Unlock outputs.)

Lock is negative trigger thru a 820 ohm resistor. Unlock is negative trigger thru a 330 ohm
resistor. MUST use relays.

Bulldog Security's Notes and Diagrams seem to contain the same info.  On their systems that do

not have internal Lock relays, their diagrams show external relays for the resistor circuits.
No external relays are shown on units that have internal Lock relays.

On one wire "resistor" lock systems, I always use relays.

Soldering is fun!
thecoolmankyle7 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2011 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
Why would you not just put a relay on the dome light supper? It will function exactly like the OEM, actualy better. Sounds like your going to realy LONG way around to make something work. The dome light supper will work perfect with a relay on it.
ichaos 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2011 at 5:22 AM / IP Logged  
@kreg357: As I said, the lock/unlock outputs of the compustar unit are sufficient to trigger the locks through resistors, no relays are necessary. The issue was that the OEM dome light supervision was not triggered by pulsing the door locks, as it is in some vehicles. For what it's worth, (using the necessary resistors) I did try to ground lock wires directly to the chassis instead of using the compustar outputs. Although that does trigger the locks, still no joy on the dome light.
@cthecoolmankyle7: Actually, grounding out the dome light wire (even with a relay) does not work exactly like the OEM system at all. The cargo lamp still doesn't illuminate, and when using the OEM FOB I can hear two relay clicks coming from the module in the driver side kick panel that do not engage when the locks are triggered by the aftermarket unit. While it is true that I could wire both the dome light & cargo light circuits to be triggered through relays by the dome light output from the compustar, I was trying to avoid going that route because of the extra time & labor.
Regardless, after speaking with compustar tech support, there is no way to trigger the OEM relays directly with the aftermarket unit. The only option is the aforementioned relay method. However, I did discover that if any of the door trigger wires are momentarily grounded through a negative pulse from the aftermarket unit, the interior dome light timer is triggered. Still no cargo light, but the compromise is acceptable for the time being. The problem with that is when the vehicle is remote started, the dome light goes out almost immediately upon being unlocked via remote (OEM or aftermarket) because the primary ignition is on.   

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic