the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

amiable alternate, massive audio eq-7 preamp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gandalf91 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2011 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
So about three weeks back I ordered one of the final pieces to my car stereo, a Massive Audio EQ-7 preamp. It functions as both a 7-band graphic EQ and 8-volt line driver.
http://www......com/item_34936_Massive-Audio-EQ7.html
Unfortunately this unit is on back order and has not yet shipped, and I'm starting to get impatient. While searching for comparable alternate choices, I happened upon this unit, the Clarion EQ746.
http://www......com/item_6655_Clarion-EQS746.htm
Looks and features appear almost identical, however one important concern comes to mind. The Massive Audio unit specifically advertises itself as a line driver. Now, the Clarion unit boasts "7-volt RCA outputs", and even reviewers claim it reproduces a stronger line level signal than most head-units with 2-volt preamps (like mine), however, I just wanted to verify this was the case and if there are any fundamental differences among the two.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 21, 2011 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged  
I did not look at either of the above units.  But I can tell you that there is not a single automotive amplifier out there that will not max out with 1/2 volt of input.  I really do not see the need for a line driver.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2011 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
the massive and clarion are virtually the same. ive sold both and really the only question to help you chose is what color do you want the lights to be. but with either or, make sure that your ground is very good so i wouldn't recommend using any factory grounds or else you will probably have a ton of noise in your system.
gandalf91 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2011 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your responses guys. I ended up going with the Clarion unit and it should arrive in two days. :) I will definitely make sure to ground it well. I had noise in my system for a day or two a couple months ago due to a crappy RCA cable, and it was so immensely irritating. Definitely won't let anything like that in the system ever again.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
gandalf91 wrote:
Definitely won't let anything like that in the system ever again.
sometimes you have no choice but to live with a little noise, all depends on your equipment.
gandalf91 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2011 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, but not like with that cable. (I used it because it was one of the only ones laying around. I think it may have been unshielded.) Anyway, I have virtually no noise now, until I turn the volume up on my head unit past 30. (It goes 0-35) And I never listen to it past about 25 anyway.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic