icon

2007 gm factory navigation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hurst01 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2011 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
I purchased a complete, new-in-the-box, GM factory double-din Navigation system with self contained Nav, radio, CD and XM. My initial purchase of this kit was to install in a 1937 Cadillac street rod that I am building with aftermarket harness and GM computer.
Things went south in information on how to hook this up, so I would like to use it in my 1998 Chevrolet Silverado truck if I can't hook it up in the 37 Cadillac. I am told that the nav does not have any way to turn it on or off, and it is all done through the BCM on the later model GM vehicles.
I am hoping someone can help me with information on installing it in either vehicle. I really hate to see it go to waste because of lack of knowledge on hook-up
Thanks, Ed
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  

ASs far as the old street rod, forget it. The nav is controlled from can data and without this it can't operate. It not only tells it when to be on or off but also contains an antitheft code.

As for the truck, this is possible but will require some stuff. Of coarse you need the GPS antenna, and also a plug that won't exist in your dash. It is the brown coded plug that plugs into the navi and contains the VSS signal. You need this plug and then need to run the VSS wire to the back of the junction box under the dash next to the brake pedal. Next, you need two small amps. The navi is signal output only because it is designed to work with a Bose amp. It will plug into your truck but only play at a low volume, and this is why you need the amps. We use 2 very small basic amps with a high level input, this works fine.

You may have another issue. If this navi is used it will be theftlocked. After the installation, if you get says it's locked you will need to visit the dealer where they will connect a TECH2 to the OBD2 connector to unlock the navi.

Also, the navi doesn't have XM. XM is a separate component that mounts behind the glovebox and is just controlled from the navi.

It may sound like a PITA. but we do them all the time and it isn't terrible.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
hurst01 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2011 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
HI Mike,
I really appreciate your response. The unit I have is new, never been used with DVD and antenna. It still has the plastic on the face. Can you give me part numbers of the harness, plugs, and amps, or supply them? Also possibly a schematic? I don't mind a bit purchasing them if it will keep me from losing the Nav system. I was interested in a new Silverado truck year before last and this Navi is identical to the ones on the 09 and 10 GM trucks. I don't mind it being a PITA as long as it can be done.
BTW, the 37 Cadillac I am building has a VSS also. Make a difference?
Thanks, Ed
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2011 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Vss is the least of your worries.  In either vehicle, there is no way to turn the deck on. 
hurst01 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2011 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
I have been told this before, but it has to get power from somewhere. I understand that the BCM controls the Nav. When Mike M2 replied that they did the installs all the time I became very interested. There has to be a way to get power to the unit, regardless of how difficult. If I can find a schematic of the Nav harness I am going to try to make it work.
someone told me that the 2003 GM trucks had the correct harness, or at least the right connector to hook to the Nav. I am determined enough to try and make it work on the 98. I am just hoping that someone has done this before.
hurst01 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2011 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
If nothing else, I am crazy enough to find a donor 03-up truck and salvage the complete harness from it
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2011 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

I wish i would have read your original post better. I was thinking the Silverado was 2007/up which provides the correct data. A 1998 does not so idiot is right in saying it won't work at all.

The Navi you have is supplied a constant power that it runs on. The trucks BCM creates data telling the navi when to be on or off. Niether of your cars can possibly create this data so there's no chance for it to turn on. It's not a matter of having the correct harness(by the way,a 2003 does not have the right ones) but creating data....

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
hurst01 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
LOL, it seems strange calling someone an idiot, but I guess it is all in good fun. I found an article a bit back that told about how to retro-fit the Navi to a 3003 Silverado. The article indicated that 03 was capable for the retro-fit with some sort of adapter. I will have to dig it up.
As we all know, necessity is the Mother of invention. I was just hoping that someone with more intelligence that me would have been able to figure this out. I know there is a way to do it, I am just not smart enough. I have figured out some unbelievable harness configurations in my time, but not doing this on a regular basis can take its toll on the mind, especially when you don't have much of one to begin with.
I thought of buying a new truck without Nav and putting this one in it. I only paid $750 for the complete unit with disc and antenna. Problem is, I really don't want the expense of a new truck when I have a really good one. I am not above finding an 07 truck and getting the complete harness. When you have the complete harness it is easier to change out the whole thing, it is for me, anyhow. I am thinking I will do a retro-fit on the engine at the same time, installing a Camaro LT1 stroked to 383 Cubic inches.
As far as the harness and BCM goes, what is the earliest years I will need with the brown connector on it? Any information will be most appreciated.
hurst01 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
I don't see a way to edit the post. The article told of how to retro-fit to a 2003 Silverado, not a 3003.
hurst01 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2011 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
I know that these Navi units are "supposed" to be used with the BCM in specific vehicles. But think about it... if a person could figure a way to make these units work in an older non-nav vehicle, get it patented you could make a fortune. There are a lot of people out there that would like to have the factory GM Nav in their vehicles. Especially Street Rodders with pre-1949 vehicles. There would be an untold market for them.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic