icon

3 way passive

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
positive p 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2011 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
I'm putting together a 3-way component set of my own and need help building a pair of 3-way passive crossovers. Component selection, where to find, and other helpful info.
These will be used in each door of my Astro.
Here is what I have:
Power is 150 watts RMS per channel.
Mid-Bass will be (1) RE Audio REX12D4
Midrange will be (1) RE Audio REX8D4
Highpass will be (2) RE Audio TW1
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 10, 2011 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
What is the impedance of each driver?  What crossover points do you want.  On the midrange, we need the low and high pass frequencies. 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2011 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  

And why in the world are you planning to use two tweeters per side?

Go to the parts express website.  Plenty of tutorials there and a good selection of parts.  But know this: building a crossover is far more difficult than just plugging in some numbers and soldering together some components.  If you want it to sound good, that is.

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2011 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
And why in the world are you planning to use two tweeters per side?
That poor choice not withstanding... but a 12" subwoofer as a mid-bass, and an 8" subwoofer as a mid-range? <shudder> My ears are bleeding to even THINK about hearing that.
No matter WHAT you do, if you try to use ANY kind of "regular" or "common" crossover points, using those drivers, it's GONNA (not might. Oh, no, my friend... it WILL) sound like arse.
You can't go low enough with the tweeters to meet the 8" top response, NOR can you go high enough with an 8" woofer to meet the low frequency end of ANY tweeter, let alone a car-audio tweeter!
You have chosen incorrectly and unwisely, young padawan. Reassess your goals, and THEN we'll help, but you will not achieve any good results with your chosen driver compliment. You won't get them.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
A 12" in the door? Really? I gotta see this...
positive p 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2011 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
12's in the doors is done more often than you think. And I chose 10's and a 6.5" Component set. The 10's I'm running off the rear channels of the mids and highs amp. Running the amp in full range.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 30, 2011 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
Look up Speaker Workshop and use that utility to help put drivers and crossover components together.  Warning, though, experimenting with building passives can become an expensive hobby.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2011 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
Where are the pictures?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2011 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2011 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
^^ Nice. If he did this on a trike it'd roll pretty well. :)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic