icon

power inverter or building power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jibjabhater 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2011 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
Ok guy's I need one last bit of help. I have my project nearly ready to begin install but I came up with one last question. The project is mounting a 2200 watt inverter in my diesel truck to power a 1000 watt circuit on a regular basis. I would like to have the option of using the inverter while the truck is running, or plugging in to building power when not running. I would like to keep the plug at the front of the vehicle next to my winterization plug and not disconnect everytime. My main worry is back feeding 110 into my inverter. I know diodes limit the direction of current flow, but can they handle 110 volts, if so what size do I need? Thanks for
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2011 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
Diodes are irrelevant (unless you are talking about a 12/24VDC supply, but then you'd use relays anyhow).
I suggest you look up the Standards for AC equipment as applicable to your region.
AC interconnection is usually Regulated and you must follow those guidelines etc - eg earthing or grounding of connected equipment, and insulation and isolation requirements.
The only suggestion I'll give is dual-pole switching with the inverter supplying the "ground-neutral" or "earth-neutral" interconnection when on inverter power, and the wall-system (main switch board etc) supplying that connection when the inverter is "bypassed" PROVIDED that is in accordance with your local regulations.
Single-pole switching of the "active" line only is hazardous, as are various combinations of "floating" outputs.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2011 at 6:20 AM / IP Logged  
You need a marine shore power switch. It will allow you to switch between 2 sources...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Phreak480 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2011 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  
They do make inverters designed for changing over between mains and dc power automatically and some even will keep your batteries charged when AC is available. Might want to check into it, the it would handle it all for you in a safe, reliable, automatic fashion. They are often used by people who have large power backups or large alternate power methods in their home.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic