icon

front component caught on fire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
johngutillo 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
i have focal components up front, the driver side door mid woofer caught fire and the tweet is ruined also. they are ran off of a kicker zx650.4 amp, i noticed thier was some moisture in the door. crossovers are in the door also, can my amp send dc voltage to the speaker or does it have proctection circuitry???? what are the possilble causes of this, i know its impossible for anyone to tell me exactly what happend in my situtaion,. but how could this even be possible to being with???? thats where i need to start,, i was told to send the amp into kicker . im trying to decide if the amp caused this or the focal components,,, the amp and other speakers work fine now , i disconnected the driver side door and all other speakers and subs work fine. the fire on the speaker was very hard to put out also, at first i noticed something smelling burning, then i saw flames under the door panel. the fire did not want to go out easily!!!!!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2011 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
I would expect DC offset protection circuitry DOES exist in that amp, but there is always the possibility of failure.
DC is a good choice, and if this IS what dinged your Focals, a trip for your amp into the Kicker Repair Center is all you're left with.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
johngutillo 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2011 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
the amp works fine now , and so does all the other speakers, how do i know if it was the amp or not??????? kicker has already given me a RMA number to return the amp , i need focal to replace theese speakers .
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2011 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
1: Focal will likely not replace them. "Caught on fire" is a sure sign of abuse, no matter what you tell them to try to convince them. And even if they did buy the "low powered" scenario, a malfunctioning amplifier is NOT a warrantable situation, from ANY manufacturer.
2: Do you really want to risk destroying ANOTHER set of speakers? If you have an RMA, and they'll at least check it out under warranty, let 'em do it. :)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2011 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
I do not think DC would have gotten to the tweeter. Chances are it was too much AC voltage. Did the speaker quit playing audio before this happened? If so, then yes it could have been a DC problem. If the speaker continued to play all the way up to the time it caught fire, then chances are it was just too much AC voltage that caused the problem.
haemphyst 
Posted: October 20, 2011 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Wasn't the tweeter that flamed out... It was the woofer. Read OP again. :)
Just because there's DC in the audio signal, if the DC Protection Circuitry quit or otherwise failed, then the amp could STILL provide an audio output, albeit biased toward one rail or the other. No?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
Woofer caught fire and the tweeter is ruined also.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2011 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
It can't be AC since the current and voltage aren't in phase - speakers are inductive.
(Jest kidding guys... Like that "changing impedance" for amplifier inputs because voltage and current changes all the time....)
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2011 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
Were these legit Focal speaker bought from a authorized Focal dealer or were they bought on line and are quite possibly knock offs?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2011 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

Last time I set a speaker on fire, I had it wired to a 120 v outlet, real loud at 60 hz till smoke escaped.

The only way you could get warrenty on it is if you can prove a mechanical defect that limited cone movement resulting exesive heat.  More likely something in grill or door mounting was preventing full cone movement.  I am assumimg the otherside was not damaged, and the tweeter damage was a result of the fire. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic