front component caught on fire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2011 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  
lspker wrote:
... wired to a 120 v outlet, real loud at 60 hz till smoke escaped.
Was it distorted?
I don't care about clipping - I'm just wondering how dirty your SMPS-affected AC supplies are.
ok - I'll cease... It's the power-factor getting to my head, but I think I have crested.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
lspker wrote:
The only way you could get warrenty on it is if you can prove a mechanical defect that limited cone movement resulting exesive heat.
Nope. I can hold a cone all day long, and run RMS power into it for as long as the sun shines, and it'll NEVER, EVER blow, (did I say that it would NEVER blow...?) just because the cone is held in place.
Mechanical movement has SO little to do with the power capacity of a driver, (meaning it doesn't have much at all to do with it...) that it can scarcely even be considered when modeling.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2011 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
Still going with counterfeit speakers.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
johngutillo 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2011 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
i think i did see smoke comming from the tweeter, not 100 percent sure though,,, yes the music stoped for a second or two made a bump type noise or a light pop, then it flamed up,,,the amp was sent into kicker last week, i will know more this week, hopefully they can find something wrong!!! so i will know wherer this trouble has been comming from!!! i have had to replace theese focal speakers before because they would simply stop working, i sent them into orka (focal) and they sent me new ones out, theese are deffinitly real, theese were sent to me straight from orca, i have had theese k2p woofers go out on me 3 times now, but they never caught on fire before they simply stoped working , i was under the impression i was playing them to loud, so when i go theese i made sure to adjust my gains and hpf's so i was extra easy on them, now they catch fire!!!!!!!!!!!!! focal does not want to send me anything eles.
johngutillo 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2011 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
sorry people, should have told you EVERYTHING up front, looks like thier is alot of knowledge to help me, hopefully it will return !!! lololol
johngutillo 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
another question i have is,,,, do you think this damaged my crossover??? it LOOKS ok, have not tested it yet.
johngutillo 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
i also want to add the volume was very low when this happend,
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic