icon

new speaker setup options

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zerovandez 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2011 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
I would like some recommendations for my new speaker setup here's what I have and what I will get (if needed).
Car: 1997 Honda Civic Hatchback
Amp: Sony XM-4060GTX
Spec: 4 channel. RMS: 60 x 4 @4ohms, 75 x 4 @2ohms, bridged rear 150 x 1 @4ohms
Front Speaker: Aura 6000RPM Component
Spec:50w RMS, 200w Max, 6.5 component set, 4ohms
Rear Speaker: Aura 6900RPM Coaxial 2 way
Spec: 60w RMS, 240w max, 6x9, 4ohms
What wiring scheme would give me the best power and sound? Parallel? Serial? Or just basic?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2011 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
You have a 4-channel amp and you plan to install 4-speakers (or more accurately 4 speaker systems with crossovers.)  Install one to each channel of the amp.  Be sure to safely install the amp, to set the gain properly and to install a good amp power and ground system.
Support the12volt.com
zerovandez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2011 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I understand the concept of basic connections. I was more inquiring about a parallel connection for more power. I've installed this amp a few times before but I'm in the middle of "reworking" my audio system. Just wanted a suggestion for the best sound. Thanks.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2011 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
The only way to safely wire the speakers to the amp is to wire one speaker to each channel, as previously mentioned -unless the amplifier is 1ohm stable per channel (same as 2ohm stable bridged), which I highly doubt it is.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
zerovandez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2011 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
The amp IS 2ohm stable per channel. It can output 75x4 at 2ohms. It can also be configured as a 3 channel amp with the 3rd being a bridged rear setup outputting 150x1 @4ohms.
Again, I'm not very well versed in any optional connections aside from your basic install. But I've been doing some reading about speakers and wiring to amps so that's what sparked this thread. Just wanting to know how to maximize what I have.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2011 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
zerovandez wrote:
The amp IS 2ohm stable per channel.
Two-ohm per channel, STEREO, absolutely NOT two-ohm stable BRIDGED. It is, after all, a Sony.
The ONLY way you can use that amplifier and all four SETS of speakers in one set of components (crossover, woofer, tweeter) per channel.
There are no other options for you. One set to one channel. Done and done. Maximized.
Three times now... DYohn, jmelton, and myself. One channel, one set.
The "bridged" option for the "rear" pair of channels, is for a subwoofer application. Additionally, when you "bridge" a pair of channels, each channel "sees" twice the load (or one half the impedance). If you bridge those rear channels to one set of components (@4-ohms), your amplifier will "see" a 2-ohm load. PER CHANNEL. This is what jmelton was asking you about... If you parallel the component sets, you will be presenting a 2-ohm load for the amplifier to drive, and if you insist on bridging the channels that CAN be bridged, you will be running those two channels with a 1-ohm load on them, something the amplifier cannot do, safely.
Component set one, one channel.
Component set two, one channel.
Component set three, one channel.
Component set four, one channel.
You have no other options. Period.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
zerovandez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2011 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
I get it. Thanks guys!
As for the speaker arrangement, would components minus the tweeter in the rear sound better than a 6x9 coaxial in the rear? I've had those "3 way" 6x9's in the rear and they sounded awful.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2011 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

Noone can say for sure. You would have to give each option a listen and see what sounds best to you.

I personally don't see the point in spending extra money on components for the rear VS coaxials. You could always fade the sound to the front so the rears are barely audible.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
zerovandez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2011 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I guess that was not the best question. I just recall hearing too much highs in my old setup. Couldn't hear a thing. But I'm learning that installation has a lot to do with audio quality as well (sealing and deadening). You're right, I'll just have to play with it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic