bitwriter cable

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eanderson651 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2011 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  

Hello all,

Im hoping someone has some experience with the bitwriter.  I recently ordered one, it came with 2.7 and a 3 pin to 4 pin cable.

I tried to use it on both a clifford 4112 and a python 580, both said unit not responding when trying to read.  I plugged the 4 pin into the remote start unit into the 4 pin port that had the same color as the cable end.  This port is all by itself on the side.  I can only assume thats the right port?

However, now Im noticing that there is a 3 pin to 3 pin cable available.  Is that what I need to use it on those devices or do I have a bad bitwriter?

Thanks all!!

mobileedgeny 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2011 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
you need the 3 pin for those units. also you need to upgrade the eprom- the green memory looking chip not just the tiny black square one.
eanderson651 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2011 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
So the 2.7 is not the most current?  Or there is something in addition to that?
mobileedgeny 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2011 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
Its another piece along with 2.7 chip
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2011 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
When C.City closed down I bought the BitWriter from the shop. Now its been quite a few years and I don't even remember what version is in it, but where can I get the updated chip and other piece? Are they ridiculously expensive (not with a business anymore.. just me by my lonesome). I'm interested to see if its worth getting or if I should just stick with manual programming.
Thanks in advance.... and sorry to hijack.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
eanderson651 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2011 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
It looks like the 2.7 upgrade chip and the eprom mentioned above can both be had fairly inexpensively on eBay.  Going to test mine tonight without the updated eprom and see if it works with the 3 pin to 3 pin cable.
mobileedgeny 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2011 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
You need both chips for the newer units. The 3 pin will work fine with older units like the viper 160xv. You can get chip on ebay. Think its around 15 or so.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2011 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
How long ago did they upgrade the EPROM? I know about a year before C.City closed we had to replace a chip in our bitwriter in order to work with the Python 1400XP.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
mobileedgeny 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2011 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
prob about 2 years now
eanderson651 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2011 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  
Looks like mine was updated with the eprom.  I tried last night on python 580 and it worked great.  Thanks for the help!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic