icon

2011 accord panels

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maxcat 
Copper - Posts: 211
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2011 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  

hi all, about to install a r/s in a 2011 honda accord and was just wondering if anyone has any tips on removing the steering column shroud. If i can remember, you (after removing the bottom screws) apply preasure to the bottom or top? panel on both sides and it should pop off. I was just curious if the was a definate way to do this as to not break those small tabs that hold the 2 halves together.

Thanks in advance

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2011 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
No and snatch rather than steady pressure.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  
First, make sure the car's interior is warm. Whether you're going to work inside or outside doesn't matter.... before beginning, leave car outside, running, with the windows closed and heater settings on maximum.
(I do this on every car. Panels are less likely to break, wiring is more supple, and I'm more comfortable.)
Pull off the panel in front of the driver's knees first, as it obstructs one of the three screws on the steering column. You'll find that usually a couple of clips come off of the panel you're removing, and end up staying on the part of the car where they attach. No big deal... just pull them off with your fingers and put them back on the panel.
Do you have a plastic panel removal tool? If not, pretty much anything that's rigid and non-marring should work.
If you look at this link here, I use the pointy part of the fifth tool...hopefully you'll get the idea.
Anyway, just turn the steering wheel to one side to expose the seam between the two panels that runs behind the steering wheel. Push right into the seam with your plastic tool and the two halves will separate. Rotate the steering wheel again to pop the other side.
Don't try to poke into the seam where it runs down the sides of the steering column. The gap is tighter, there are strong clips behind the seam, and also, any scratch you make will be far more noticeable. If you have to make a mistake somewhere, better to do it behind the steering wheel where it will rarely be seen.
maxcat 
Copper - Posts: 211
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replies guys, great info Chris. I do have a trim removal tool that will work just fine. Once you started talking about turning the wheel it all started coming back to me again.

Thanks very much again for the replies

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
Interesting comment, maybe a section on tools, I have all the Bojos and the one that Chris pointed out is always my first choice, though I also use a lock-blade knife. As for the door panels themselves I prefer the metal version though the Snap-On tools, A163/A177 etc. are ridiculously expensive here, cheaper for me to wait for someone going over to the US and pop in to Sears!
I forgot about the weather your side of the pond but here it's still in the 60s for some reason, anyway the winter rule is never try and remove a plastic panel when it's freezing cold, it will cost you.
Another trick especially if you have to pull out but not unplug and remove head unit is to use a hand towel underneath to protect the trims.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
Come to think of it, I bought a 1/2 kilo (approx 1lb.) of "Multicore" 60/40 solder and it was £30, about $45, that's a 300% increase in the last 3 years.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

I'll add that the Honda shrouds have gotten better. 5/10 years ago you could count on breaking a few tabs no matter how carefull you were, but newer Honda shrounds seem to be less brittle and easier to get off in one piece.

Remember when the new bodystyle Rav4 came out(the first ones with no screws)? there was zero chance of getting them off with breakage. They redesigned them since, but we used to keep a spare on hand just because of the issues...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
Mike, don't start me off on Toyota panels, they are soooo scratchable, I want to lay them in cotton wool every time.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic