icon

Remote Start Hood Pin Neccessary?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bren5666 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
Went and talked to the shop that is going to install my alarm next week.After going over a couple questions, one of the things he brought up is that they don't normally install a hood pin for the remote start due to the frequency of problems they have with them. I understand where he's coming from, but I'd like some other opinions on if it's needed.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

Very. 

The purpose of the hood pin is to keep the vehicle from starting if someone is working on the engine.  Would hate for you to have your hands in the fan or belt, and have someone wonder what this button does.

aaronrs4 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
Request that they install a tilt switch under the hood instead of a pin switch. That will eliminate any issues with the pin switch breaking or corroding... in my 12yrs of installing I've never had to replace a tilt switch unless the customer somehow managed to damage it...
Install it like everyone will see EVERY part of it.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2011 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
And in the last 20 I've never had to replace a hood pin switch. If they are having problems and give you that answer they are doing things wrong and don't use them.
I live in a miserable damp climate and like everything else there's an art to their installation.
Mount as high as possible, seal the joint between switch and wire with adhesive heat shrink and spray over with a moisture retarder.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 13, 2011 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  
They probably don't hook up tach wires either, or dome light supervision, or any other "non essential" item that doesn't make them extra money but takes more time.
Skipping the hood pin is inexcusable for a professional shop and any shop that tells you that they don't use them would instantly lose my business.
Kevin Pierson
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2011 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
I'm a DIY guy and I would insist that they install a hood pin.  Perferably a tilt switch as aaronrs4 recommeneds.  I have replaced the standard pin as it would corrode in this climate and not function properly.  I wouldn't think of installing without a hood pin.  Usually the first thing I look for is how to get from the inside of the car to the engine compartment.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

The Hood Pin is a very important safety feature as most users never take the time to use Valet Mode ( and I explain &  teach them this feature ).

While a tilt switch does have some "hilly terrain" issues, I prefer them to the pin switches.

Remote Start Hood Pin Neccessary? - Last Post -- posted image. 

Soldering is fun!
bren5666 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2011 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the advise guys. I actually thought of using a tilt switch, but where I normally park at it would likely cause an issue. They did say they would install it if requested, so I'm going to have them do it.I forgot to ask them about a remote start override toggle switch and I didn't even think of the domelight supervision; I'm going to have to make sure they do that also. Most of the shops around my area are only around a couple years then disappear. That's why I decided to take it to this shop. They've been around for about 15 years and have good reviews. Letting someone work on my new vehicle makes me a bit paranoid!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic