icon

remote start only starts with key on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joebowlin 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  

I'm installing an Avital 4103 in a 2005 dodge ram crew cab hemi. I dont think it has the Sentry key, as the key is thin and black. It does have factory keyless entry, but no alarm.

When I try and start it with the remote, the dash lights turn on and power is sent to the starter wire, but the engine doesn't crank. If I have the key in the ON position, it starts up fine with the remote.

Issues I need help with: It has two ACC1 wires. I hooked up one ACC1 to one of them, and there is another wire for either Ignition2 or Acc2 that is hooked up to the other one. I'm not sure if it correctly programmed the Ign2/Acc2 wire to Acc2. Theres also a ACC2 on the vehicle that I dont have hooked up.

I checked all of the wires and they seem to be correct. So, if I've got 2 ACC1 wires, whats the proper way to hook them up?

What do you think is wrong that I need to have the key in and ON to remote start?

BTW, I used to be an installer about 10 years ago, but got out of the game right as remote starts were getting popular, and haven't installed one before. Also, car wiring has gotten more complex since I installed last (or atleast this Ram has).

Thanks

offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
I would check on the sentry key because I don't remember many 05 Rams not having the immobilizer.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
aaronrs4 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you've missed an ignition wire, or the 2nd ign. wire (pink/white) got changed from its default setting of 2nd ign to 2nd acc. use your multimeter and test the output of the ignition wires to mke sure they are staying energized through the starting process. (also check to make sure the harness is firmly seated in place and that none of the pins have pushed out of the harness. I've seen that quite a few times on these units...) The acc. wires shouldn't affect the starting of the vehicle...
Install it like everyone will see EVERY part of it.
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
Looking again, it looks like the 05's have 2 ignition and 2 accessory wires. The pink/white wire should connect to the second ignition and you'll have to use a relay to power the 2nd accessory.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~54234
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
joebowlin 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I think I only installed one ignition wire. I'll switch the IGN2/ACC2 wire over to the 2nd Ign wire on the vehicle. I'll give it a shot and let you know. Thanks for all the help so fast. You guys are cool.
joebowlin 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2011 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  

It Worked! Thanks so much! I just moved the IGN2/ACC2 wire from the other ACC onto the IGN2 on the vehicle and it fired right up! I'm stoked. Thank You!

Now I just need to hook up my power door locks, and the parking light wires. Can anyone explain a little more about doing that? I know I need resistors, but do they hook up to the same wire?

Power Lock PURPLE / dk. green  -  driver kick, door harness  

Power Unlock same as power lock wire

Thanks

offroadzj 
Posted: November 13, 2011 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
not familiar with teh avital, but you need 2 relays (or a dei 451m). With a 451m the violet will go to ground through the resistor, violet/black goes to straight ground, GREEN/ black and blue/black both to the lock/unlock wire. Then the small gauge red to 12v, green to the (-) lock output, and blue to the (-) unlock output from the starter.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 14, 2011 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
You can usually get away without relays or 451M....just resistors.
What are you testing your wires with?
Anyway, down under the dash up above the driver's foot, there's this big rectangular thing with a white plastic part with a bolt in the middle.
There's a short bundle or wires running into one side of it, and a longer bundle that goes into the other side.
The longer bundle, find the only WHITE/ dark green in there. It'll test as a partial ground when you operate the lock/unlock switch.
And yes, both go to the same wire. should be like this:
AVITAL LOCK-----RESISTOR-----\
```````````````````````````````````````````----------DODGE WIRE
AVITAL UNLOCK---RESISTOR-----/
Hopefully that looks right. I find that if you're not using relays, and just using a straight connection from your Avital, start with resistors 10-20% below the suggested value on the tech sheet. Then just trial and error with temporary connections until you get the right ones. If you get the wrong resistor, nothing will break, it just won't work.
Also, in the shorter bundle going into that same rectangle, you have brake (WHITE/ tan) and positive parking lights (BLACK / YELLOW or maybe WHITE/ silver on 2005).
joebowlin 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2011 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
I'm using a fluke 70 dmm. I picked up the resistors today. Still need to find some diodes for the door triggers. Radioshacks keep going out of business around here. I'll start probing around tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic