icon

reverse wire for back up camera

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silverbullet555 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2011 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
Installed the head unit in my truck a while ago and now am finally hooking up the rear view camera.
The deck is a Pioneer AVH-p4200DVD and the camera is a Boyo VTL420.
The vehicle is a 2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD.
I have 2 wires, the back up sensor for the deck and the power for the camera that need to be powered when in reverse. I know some will pull power all the way from the tail light, but I would like to try to avoid that.
So, I am trying to find out, where under the dash, I can pick up power to power the camera and trip the head unit so the camera display comes on.
I would only want power when in reverse.
I was thinking something off the BCM but was concerned that it may not be designed for whatever the current draw would be.
Would the backup light off the BCM be safe powering a relay and I could use a micro relay to provide the power?
Any other suggestions.
James
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 13, 2011 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

So you are going to have to run the camera wires and mount the camera mere feet away from the taillight, and do not want to catch the wire there?  Either way you will have to run a wire alongside the camera's video wire.  So why not run it from back to front?  Give me a minute and I will find you a wire color.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 13, 2011 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Reverse Lights LIGHT GREEN (+) BCM BLACK PLUG PIN F

Module 1 BCM - BODY CONTROL MODULE UNDER DRIVERS SIDE DASH

silverbullet555 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2011 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

So you are going to have to run the camera wires and mount the camera mere feet away from the taillight, and do not want to catch the wire there?  Either way you will have to run a wire alongside the camera's video wire.  So why not run it from back to front?  Give me a minute and I will find you a wire color.

The wiring is a triplex cable that plugs into the camera and all of the connections are at the head-unit side of the plug. The triplex carries the power,ground and video signal.
I also pre-wired the harness at the head unit so it is already grounded and the power and reverse wire are tied together. (Did it about a year ago thinking it would be easy to get the 12v from the reverse lights up there.)
James
silverbullet555 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2011 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
And since I have to tap the BCM anyway for the reverse signal for the headunit, I figured might as well make both connections up front.
James
silverbullet555 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
As I sit here and think about it, I think I am just going to wire it in through a switch. I really don't need the backup camera except when hitching the trailer by myself. Plus, on occasion, while towing I wouldn't mind being able to switch it on and view the boat, etc.
James
silverbullet555 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2011 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
Got it taken care of today. Ended up keeping the camera powered on at all times because my head unit allows me to hit a button and see the view at any time.
Tied the reverse wire into the BCM output and all is good.
Thanks for the help. Now that the stereo is done, I will start wiring in the remote start tonight.
James

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic