icon

high power sub vs multiple low power subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ferocious_teddy 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2011 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
My question is what would be better? Having a pair of 12's running at 400 rms a piece or 4 12's running at 300 rms a piece. Another setup I have in mind would be 8 12's running at 200 rms a piece. I am going more for sq but I figure by doubling the surface area I would be pushing more air thus giving me more spl without really sacrificing sq. What would the difference be?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2011 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
More of the SAME woofer, or a larger number of a different woofer?
Also remember that if a woofer requires a given volume for a .5 alignment, or max-flat response (Note: This will be the SQ you are questing. Keep in mind that while lowest ripple with a .5, they also sound very "lean", meaning "thin bass"...) then making the volume smaller to give you more surface area for the output benefits, will adjust the system Q, thus affecting the frequency response of the system, and blowing your SQ. REALLY? Do you truly want SQ hints, or are you looking for an SPL monster?
If you were going to EQ it to flat, use the same woofers (just a greater number of them, and the volume be damned, because you can EQ the ripple out...) then yes, you might obtain a marginally better sound quality, by virtue of the woofers remaining in a much more linear portion of their travel.
Overall, however, you have provided nowhere NEAR the necessary information to be able to answer that question ACCURATELY. high power sub vs multiple low power subs -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ferocious_teddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
Okay. They would be more of the same woofer. Each in their own 1.25 cu sealed box. I'm looking for a bit of both worlds but however I don't want to sacrifice too much SQ. The subs would be 4 ohm DVC series paralleled with another sub for a 4 ohm load. Then further paralleled with 2 more for a 2 ohm load. And as for the 8 sub setup it would just be doubling what I have just explained. What more Information do I need to provide to get an accurate answer.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
My question is what does "better" mean to you?  Is it "better" if it's louder?  Is it "better" if it's more clear and less distorted?  What's "better?"
Support the12volt.com
ferocious_teddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2011 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

Better to me means louder otherwise I wouldn't be adding more subs. Better also means not distorted. I don't want it to sound craptastic.

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2011 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
More subs is not only done to get louder, it can also be done to keep the output cleaner, but the general rule of thumb for adding subs is for each doubling of cone area and for each doubling of total amplifier power, you add +3db when measured from the same location and assuming everything is in phase and the input is at the same level.  So, if you have 2 X 12" brand X subs, each receiving 400 watts, add two more of the same brand X subs, each receiving 400 watts and you'll add +6db to your net SPL.  In order to make something twice as loud as it was when you started, you need to add +10db.
Support the12volt.com
ferocious_teddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2011 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
So basically in order to make my existing setup twice as loud I would have to more than triple the total power. Therefore if I have 4 subwoofers running at only 300 watts it wouldn't be that much of a difference in sound as opposed to running 2 subs at 400 watts it would only increase surface area. Since the total power would be 1200 watts then does that mean that if i ran 3 subs at 400 watts I would get the same output spl wise as 4 subs at 300 watts.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2011 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
also another thing that you have to think about when you start to add more and more subs is that if its not setup correctly you can also lose bass because of cancellation. when you have a lot of subs, just having them wired in phase sometimes isnt enough because their physical position inside the car can cause cancellation of certain frequencies. i say keep it simple. if having 4 12's is an option then why not 2 15's? this way you can have the extra output without having to truly double your power because 15's usually take around the same power as their 12 inch equivalents.
carcrazy3 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2011 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  
I am currently in the process of installing a system in a 1998 saturn sl2. I am doing this on a budget as of nowi have rockford fosgate prime components, will be getting rockford fosgate prime coax, 2 kicker comp 10's and a 4 channel kicker amp at 60 wattsx4 and 2 channels bridged at 175 all at 4ohms. But, since I am doing this on a budget will this settup be clean mostly and somewhat loud  and some hard hitting bass?
DYohn 
Posted: November 19, 2011 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  

ferocious_teddy wrote:
So basically in order to make my existing setup twice as loud I would have to more than triple the total power. Therefore if I have 4 subwoofers running at only 300 watts it wouldn't be that much of a difference in sound as opposed to running 2 subs at 400 watts it would only increase surface area. Since the total power would be 1200 watts then does that mean that if i ran 3 subs at 400 watts I would get the same output spl wise as 4 subs at 300 watts.

That question is impossible to answer.  It depends on which subs, among other things.  Power is only one piece of the equation...

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic