icon

adding a 2nd fuse block/panel?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fronzizzle 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2011 at 6:58 AM / IP Logged  

I'm in the process of restoring/making over my 1985 Camaro IROC Z.  Part of what I'm doing includes the addition of some LED lighting in the cabin and the hatch area.  In addition to the lights, I might end up running a new 8 ga wire directly to the battery and use some relays to speed up the power windows (the 3rd gen Camaros are known for slow windows, a lot of times due to improper voltage).

Anyway, instead of dealing with a bunch of inline fuses and additional relays, I'm wondering if it's a good or bad idea to add a second fuse block instead?  Thinking something like running a large gauge wire (fused) to a second block, then run all of my accessories that I'm adding off of this block.  Please let me know your thoughts.  Thanks.

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2011 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  
Why not?
You probably think like me... the trouble & mess with separate inline fuses etc.
Many vehicles have fuse boxes with 6-10 fuses, and some include relays. I recall the early 1980s Isuzu Jackaroo/Trooper else KB/Rodeo utes with 2 relays (Jideco SPST or SPDT else SPDT convertible sockets) with maybe 6-8 blade fuses in a compact rectangular box.
I'm sick of my 3-4 relays (excluding hi/low beam relays), birds-nest wiring and various fuses and have intended a 6-8 relay box with a dozen or more blade fuses and a fuselink or few instead (specifically a 1990's Rodeo/Fontera fuse/relay box). (That's probably in its 3rd year of intention; I got 2 boxes 1-2 years ago.)
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
Look up Raw Components, UK (They export), high power relays AND up to 8 way fuses boxes and matching relay holders, all water resistant.
This is becoming a repeating question isn't it Oldie.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2011 at 4:29 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah...
I wonder if that Aussie Commodore (or whatever) flinkbox was ever received.
I thought about it last Saturday as I passed a few dozen of them at a wreckers, plus a few other great combos. I like the micro-fuse and mini-flink with micro relays, but that's another set of spares to keep. (And IMO not much of a space saving in my case.)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic