icon

back in the saddle midrange mush

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
licto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2011 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  

Hello everyone, hope the Holidays are treating you all well.

A while back I worked with the team on some Midrange issues in my 96 Ford Explorer.  Pulled the rear set of Focal 165 V1 sold them off.  Concentrated on treating the front doors with plenty of MLV and ensolite.  Went active off of my Alpine 9887.  Alpine PDX 4.100 (just two channels run the mids).  The other two channels are not being used.   Used an older MTX Thunder 2 channel to run the tweets.  Thought maybe going with a type AB the tweets would be a little smoother.  MRP-1000 ran the Alpine type R 12.

The above system has been in the truck for some time.  BUT.....  its time to move to the next level.

Recent tuning or messing around I moved the tweets from the A pillars back down and stuck them in front of the midranges.  Kinda like coaxial.  Changed the slope to 12 db per octave and they are crossed over at 4 for the top of the mids and 4.5 for tweets.  I left a hole at aound 4K and it seems to have mellowed out a little.  Had everyting at 24db before and changing it to 12 made a world of difference to smooth things out as well.

Just picked a great new find......  Morel Ultimo SC 12.  Put it in a sealed enclosure of about 1 Cube.....  Could not be any happier with how this one change has transformed my system.

Now I need to get some speakers for the front setup that dont tear your head off.  I have been looking at Supremo and Elate, Seas, Scanspeak, Dayton, DLS.......  etc.

Long ago Haem suggested the Mpyers or Adair.  I am guessing those are not around anymore.

Today is a different day and I would like to get suggestions on mids and tweets.  The setup in the Exploder has the mids down pretty low in the door.  I usually get a lot of beeming off the right side and the left is next to my leg.  Really want to get the sound stage up and move to a speaker that is very smooth for the upper end.  Have been thinking hard about the Morel Supremo Pic.......

We all know you can spend a fortune and then again, there are a lot of drivers out there that you folks know about that do an exceptional job at a fraction of what Morels would cost.  Money is not to much of an issue here, but would like to keep it sane.

Thanks for reading and hope I provided enough info.

Licto

boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2011 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
The hole at 4k - was that before or after moving the tweets? I would think it's do better at 12db X'ed at 4/4 (damn that's high...?) without the hole now that they're closer together.
Otherwise it sounds like you've got a good grip on the challenges here. All opinions of individual drivers aside I think it's gonna boil down to how each driver does with the acoustics of your Exploder. Little things like position & aim are more critical than the actual driver IMO. Some folks here can give you good starting points but it'll eventually be the 4th set you try ;)
Good luck.
licto 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2011 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

The focal 165 V1 are just horrible.  Tweeter will drill holes in your head and CAN NOT be crossed over any lower.  I have done a little homework and this is where I am stuck.

Morel SCW634 - Carbon version of the supremo 6 - Can this be used in a car without ruining it....  Seems to be a home audio version.

Scan Speak Revelator - The things look / sound like they would be great speakers

Dayton RS180???  Dont even know if this is in the same ball park

Hybrid Audio 6 inch drivers......  Has anyone heard them and opinions vs Morel, Scan, and Seas....

Hybrid Audio Lagatia 3 inch up on the pillars vs. Morel Supremo Piccolo Tweeters.  What are your thoughts on a full range speaker vs a discreet tweeter.

Dont need crossovers......  the Alpine 9887 is taking care of that.

Would like get any opions on a great two way setup that really leans towards SQ and not SPL.

Thanks again, Licto

boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2011 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
Plenty of folks around here have great raw driver experience but since this is more of an installer forum you'll get far better response over at diyma.com, those guys live for questions like these.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2011 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
boulderguy wrote:
Plenty of folks around here have great raw driver experience but since this is more of an installer forum you'll get far better response over at diyma.com, those guys live for questions like these.
Bad suggestion, dude... DYohn. dwarren. me. speakermakers. jmelton86. That's a short list of the real audiophilia we have on this forum. Far more knowledgeable then diyma.
I've never seen ANYTHING really SQ from those guys. Seriously, though... You want SQ? How much do you want to spend?
The Dayton Reference stuff is really good for the outlay of cash. True, the Mpyres and Adire are no longer available, but there are drivers out there that use the same technology. Morel is a long standing favorite of my own.
Mids: Seas Prestige - $110/pair. Morel MDM55 - $200/pair. Scanspeak Revelator - $500/pair. Accuton Ceramics - $2K/pair...
Tweeters: Seas Prestige - $50/pair. Vifa BC25 - $50/pair. Seas 29TFF - $80.00/pair. Vifa NE25 - $90/pair. Scanspeak Discovery D2608 - $165/pair.
Seriously, though... I can spend all NIGHT throwing you leads for spectacular driver choices, but it's a waste of BOTH of out times to do so. Gimme a price range, and let's talk. :P
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2011 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  
The forum at diyma is largely dedicated to SQ. Whether they achieve it is a different question.
The fact remains, post these ??'s there & you'll have ten (mostly qualified) responses in an hour. No one's challenging your experience but it took 7 days for you to chime in here.
licto 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2011 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

Fair enough and thank to all of you........

Im thinking maybe 1500 for the front setup.  Morel Supremo with Tweets being the top of the price range.

I would really like to figure out a way to get the sound stage moved up and be as clear for me as the person next to me.

Really would like to speak with anyone Haem mentioned to discuss some of the finer points of my vehicle.  Haem, can you email a number to me for a quick conversation.  Ready to pull the trigger and write a check.

Licto

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2011 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
licto wrote:
Haem, can you email a number to me for a quick conversation.
You have PM...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic