< Prev Topic Next Topic >
beowolf150 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2011 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
Where is the amp grounded?
fuster 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2011 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
1. Check your ground for the amplifier. Use a volt ohmmeter to test its resistance.   There is a thread on this site that discusses testing the resistance of the ground circuit, stating it should read (as I recall) 0.2 ohms or less. I would first look at the quality of your ground connection, remove it, sand the metal on the vehicle for the contact along with your ground eyelet, and reattach.
2. Check the voltage reading on the wire feeding the amplifier. With the engine running you should get around 13.4 volts or thereabouts. With the engine turned off (and the amplifier not running), that wire should read around 12 volts. If the voltage reading of either situation is one or more volts less than stated herein, I would search for a defect in the positive connection to power if you ruled out the ground connection as the source of the problem.
3. Based on the foregoing, if your voltage reading is low and you rule out a defect in the positive connection, check this web site for the table showing proper wire gauge for your amplifier's power rating. Take into consideration the length of the wire to figure out proper wire diameter. If the wire diameter is not large enough, you will have a voltage drop when the amplifier demands more electrical current.
4. If you have the correct wire diameter, and the ground is good, and the voltage delivered to the amp is correct, then the problem is something else. Chances are your amplifier power supply is shutting off because the voltage dropped (which I would first suspect a bad ground) and when the amplifier is turned up that voltage is critical for the amplifier to maintain proper temperature, and if too little voltage it either shuts off or you burn up the power supply.
Chronic, late stage optimist.
fuster 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2011 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
When I say "burn up the power supply" in number 4, I am referring to the power supply board on the amplifier.
Chronic, late stage optimist.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic