the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

5 ch amp power 7 speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
elsabaw 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2011 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
Greetings All. I have a 2011 Honda Pilot LX base model. I have a head unit with pre-amps, Fronts, Rears and Sub. I plan to use a 5 ch amp. My issue is that the 3rd row does not have speakers and per Honda, 3.5 inch can be added. Is it possible to run the 3.5 inc speaker with the given Pre-amps and 5 ch amp? Do I need an additional 2 ch amp? Please advise with any scenarios, tested an/or theory. Thank you All for your help!
Tony G
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2011 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
The easiest way is to just run the 3.5" speakers off the headunit, and the "main" speakers off the amp. I would run them off the rear speaker output of the headunit so that your front/rear fader will still be somewhat accurate.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2011 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
I would power the front speakers with the front outputs from the amp, and power both sets of rear speakers with the rear outputs from the amp.
Make sure both sets of rear speakers are 4ohm each, this way you can wire both left side rear speakers in parallel to the L/R outputs and both right side rear speakers in parallel to the R/R outputs.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2011 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
That way would work as well. I'm not usually a huge fan of running a 4-channel amp (stereo amp) at 2 ohms MOST amps will be fine, but some will produce added distortion to the setup. With only 3.5" speakers in the back, the aren't going to need or be able to really handle a whole lot of power... but that also depends on the quality of speaker you have or are getting.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
toy civic 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2011 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
You could also run the 2nd and 3rd row speakers in series off the rear channels of either the head unit or the rear amp channels. Your power output would be cut in half per channel, but the result is only a 3 dB loss of volume. But that would be a good thing if you are looking for a stronger front soundstage.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
/\ or he could just fade it to the front if he wants a stronger front stage.
This way, if he wants to crank it up for whatever reason he can fade it to the back more.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
elsabaw 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you ALL for your feedback!!!
Tony G
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 10, 2011 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
That vehicle will absolutely NOT benefit at all from having an additional pair of 3.5" speakers installed in the third row.  KISS.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic