icon

2008 impala remote start, doorlock wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheevesLLC 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2011 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
i've scoured the web for wiring information on this car, and i've found roughly the same thing from site to site, but nobody elaborates on how to connect a remote starter.
every page lists the starter wire, but says "not for remote start." what IS for remote start? one list i found says "There is a WHITE wire and a WHITE/ BLACK wire in the IGNITION HARNESS or the BCM, GREEN Plug, Pins 2 and 4 that work as the Starter, and Second Ignition" but that's very vague and not helpful at all.
also, the doorlocks are always listed as typeB but both lock and unlock wires are called ORANGE / black. i haven't been into the car yet to see if there are actually two orange and black wires, but if there aren't then i'm confused.
has anybody completed one of these jobs? i haven't installed alarms professionally for about a decade, and the newer cars aren't like the old ones...
thanks in advance
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2011 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
I can't speak for that car in particular, but I know that a lot of new GM vehicles require the data bypass for connecting door locks. I would look into picking up one of them and making your life 100x easier.
According to readyremote's wire diagram:
Power Lock - pink/black - BCM, gray plug, pin 12
Power Unlock - ORANGE / black (all doors); yellow(driver door only) - BCM, gray plug, pins 11 and 6
Factory Alarm Disarm - purple (driver door key cylinder) - BCM, pink plug, pin 20
As far as the starter wire, I BELIEVE this car is much like many other new GM's where there is no starter wire connection required. The BCM will see the drop in voltage in the Accessory wire and then the BCM takes over with starting the car. I would take bets its the same on this car.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
TheevesLLC 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2011 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
great thanks for filling in that info on the door locks, as i was going to hunt for the (secret it seems) unlock wire. i'm sorry for being old school, but what's a data bypass? most of the wiring schematics i've seen indicate it's a simple typeB neg pulse lock system.
as far as the remote start, i'l just connect the ignition and accy leads, the transponder bypass, and it'll do the rest?
truly appreciate your help
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2011 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
I found the diagram after typing the first part. It does appear that it is just a neg. pulse system. The data bypasses are just additional modules that help make the installation a little easier. However on some newer vehicles that don't have your typical +/- signals, the bypasses are required to interface with the vehicle systems.
As for the starter, connect everything like normal except for the starter wire then give it a shot. I'm 99% sure that you won't need the starter wire connection.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
TheevesLLC 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

ok so here's a bit of a game changer...  i talked my friend into getting a dei xpressconnect i think, the DBALL model.  i made all the appropriate connections, but the dball won't program.  i tested all of the connections with my voltmeter, and they all metered as the manual said they should....  like i said, i'm old school, and haven't a lot of experience with these units, but i'm doing the D2D configuration, which only involved about 5 connections from the dball, and i made all the typical connections from the python.  it powers on ok, asks for ignition, and then flashes yellow incessantly, and the manual doesn't even say what it means.

also, the dball connects to where the smartstart module is supposed to connect.  can i splice the two together, or am i allowed only one module?

thanks!

offroadzj 
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  
The DB-ALL has to be flashed with the 401.GM6 v2.01 firmware. It is not a out-of-the-box plug and play system.... unless the person you bought it from flashed the firmware for you.
In order to flash the firmware you will need the XK-Loader2 module to connect the DB-ALL to your computer. If you don't do a lot of starters I probably wouldn't waste my money on one and either find someone who can flash it for you or pick up a DLPK module that has most of the same features as the DB-ALL (does not have brake status, panic mode/OEM horn, or the OEM remote integration)
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
TheevesLLC 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
hmm that's what i was thinking, however the guys at DCS seemed to think it didn't need flashing. i'll take it back there and have them flash it. i don't do a lot of installs anymore, but my friend wants this as nicely done as possible, with as much integration as possible.
thanks again!
offroadzj 
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
From what I've heard (haven't done one myself yet) the DB-ALL makes life 100x easier once its programmed.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
TheevesLLC 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
yes, according to the wiring schematic provided by DEI for the dball with a dei alarm in d2d mode, there are two wires to the r-code, one to the obd2, ign, and accy connection. the rest is handled.
unfortunately i ended up trying many more of the alarm connetions anyway /-; i'm taking the dball back to dcs to have it flashed on friday. the guy who was there last night didn't seem to know his elbow from his ahole about it, said it was self learning and collected his $85. the guy on the phone today however, said to bring it back in asap and he'll flash it with the gm nonsense.
i guess it'll make my life 100x easier the next time around (-;

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic