oem key fob remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Komobu 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
Hi;
I have a 95 Buick Park Avenue with two OEM key fobs. I want to keep the oem key fobs because when the unlock is pushed, the seats and the mirrors automatically adjust to driver one or driver two.
So what I am looking for is a device that will allow me to add remote starting abilities with the oem key remote.
Does such a device exist? If so, who makes it?
Thanks
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
You can use any remote start with an activation input. Connect the activation input to your factory unlock wire and change the activation pulse count to 2 or 3 (depending on how you want it to activate). Then press your unlock button 2 or 3 times depending on what you set it to and it will start.
However, factory systems normally have a very limited range. Your range will be no different than it is now.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
Many modules will have an "external trigger" or you can find a standalone unit that has no transmitter at all with it.
Usually the external input can be selected from 1-3 pulses. Typically it is wired to the lock wire of the vehicle. So pressing lock 2-3 times (depending on setup) would trigger the remote start.
Keep in mind you are limited to the range of the stock FOB. There are A LOT of "add on" remote starters that have really small FOBs.
Prestige makes an add-on security/remote start that interfaces w/ the stock FOB and has an extended range transmitter too. AS9233ST Prestige
Komobu 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks! That is great info. I have installed several autopage units. Do any of them have the external trigger?
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,427
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
This is what I usually do get a system that has a fob with it then use the activation input and then you have both the factory fob when you want it and the after market one for longer range. So you could keep one in your house or work and activate it where your factory one won't work. The only thing I'm not sure of is if your factory fob work when the car is remote started
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 09, 2011 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
I'm thinking what chev said..... install a 1-button start-only unit that also has an activation input. Avital 4113 would work for this, with an extra relay required because the activation input is negative, and the doorlock motor wires on your car are positive. (It's not too hard to configure the relay.)
If you're interested in adding an alarm too, and you don't mind spending a little more, look at the Audiovox AS9233ST. It adds an alarm to your factory remotes, adds a remote start to your factory remotes, and also comes with two one-button remotes for greater range. Installation is quite a bit more complex, but the one I did worked pretty well.
Also, where are the Driver 1 and 2 buttons located in your car? Depending on your installation skills and product budget, you could probably find and test those wires and do something with them.
It wouldn't be too hard, with any remote starter, to just make the unlock button automatically pulse the Driver 1 button, and then the second person can press an Aux button on the remote to pulse the Driver 2 button.
Some of the high-end DEI brand units have "channel linking," which is basically you have a handful of aux outputs, but if you get into programming (DEI's Bitwriter programming tool required), you can, for example, "link" the channels as such:
You'd have your first remote "link" to the AUX1 output which you'd connect to the Driver 2 wire in the car, and then "link" an AUX2 output to your second remote, so it pulses "Driver 2" wire when the other person uses his/her remote to open the car.
Again, that approach has significant increase in product cost and labor, but if it's a nice car you want to keep for a long time, it's not impossible.
Otherwise, if you want simple, just go back to the 1-button that you can also activate from the factory remote.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 09, 2011 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
Start your vehicle and make sure the keyfob still works when the car is running. If it does not work, you will have to unlock the doors with the key.
mobileedgeny 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2011 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
Chris- you can hook the neg input trigger to a pos wire. It will actually pulse ground 3x. try it one day. I do it a lot and it works fine. no relay required.
if factory fobs don't work while car is running. hook up the unlock of the avital 4113 or an autopage rs603 or an autopage rs601.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic