icon

Favorite SQ decks...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
MP3 is probably the only thing I would buy now. I run a Fosgate component set. A friend of mine gave me a copy of EZ Creator for compressing and copying music, ever since then I’ve never looked back. I’ve got the premium version of the software, which allows you to compress it at a higher quality. I usually do it at 256 and 320 bitrate and I hardly notice the subtle difference. From what I’ve read, I do know that you lose some sound quality when the format is compress, but supposedly the tech people say the sound that you lose are frequency that the human ears can’t hear.   I don’t like losing any sound on my music, but if they say I can’t hear it, it doesn’t bother me too much. Favorite SQ decks... - Page 2 -- posted image.
I’ve got to agree with you there Big Purds that mp3 HU still got a lot of work ahead of them before they get to perfection. They are still in the infancy stage of development right now, but give it a bit of time I am sure perfection is not too far of the distance. I personally like the list that you got there, but I can never justify the cost with the marginal benefits of getting one verse the practical gain of a mp3 player. The only way I would ever convince myself to getting one is that I get it at dealer cost. By the way, what do you own?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Favorite SQ decks... - Page 2 -- posted image.
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Clarion 9575Z in my Datsun, and used to run an old Sony XRC-900 cassette deck to a Sony C1 changer (the flagship) in a few other cars long ago...the XRC900 is the tape equivalent to the CDX 910, straight preamp units, with great DAC processing...second in Sonys line only to the C90...
I remember when my tape deck retailed for almost $1000 Canadian...everyone said "Youre nuts, its a ****** tape deck!" but it was great for SQ, especially paired up with that C1...
but now I am running the 9575 and have been fairly happy with it...its got a very strong preamp and plays nice and clean...I am also running the DSP Clarion made for that deck (7500Z) and they are a good pair...
I missed a good deal on a 9255 in pristine condition a couple of months ago (recovering from christmas) and am still kicking myself about it...one day though!
Dan M C 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
I love the sound of Nakamichi and i don't mean just their head units.In my system i run Nakamichi stuff (4amps) ,Mb Quart Q series (front) and Focal's new 4" access coax in the rear, A/D/S/rs.2 (12") sub.I like the set up.Favorite SQ decks... - Page 2 -- posted image.
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 5:30 AM / IP Logged  
i absolutley love me Pioneer DEH-P6400. it has alot of sound shaping features and the screen entertainment is great, also for a great price-$279 retail. i may be trading it in on a DEH-P6500 since it is just a redisgn of the p6400
QuinnX1 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
In my car I had a Clarion 9675z; I replaced it with an Alpine CDA-7873 IMO the two don't compare. The Alpine sounds much better and is easier to work with. I have had the Pioneer DEH-P 640 and Alpine blows that unit away too. I can't see myself owning another makers HU.
cyantist 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
I currently own an Alpine CDA-7894. This thing has great SQ, even with MP3s. I agree that audio compression has a ways to go yet, but for now, it doesn't get much better than this. Quality of your mp3s are really important. If you download 128kbps mp3s made by some guy in his basement who listens to all his music on his computer speakers, then ya, you are likely to have quality issues. But, if you make them yourself (I like 192kbps, for quality and size) after taking some time to do some reading and learning the various strengths/weaknesses, and how to tweak the encoders for maximum SQ, you end up with roughly 140 songs on one cd that sound 99% as good as the original. And a good quality system can make up for that missing 1%!! Favorite SQ decks... - Page 2 -- posted image.
Big Purds 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
I agree that the Clarion 9675 doesnt sound that great...they employed different DACs and such in the production of the 9675 as far as I know, and it really hurt SQ...
I am happy with the 9575 for now...like I said, it is a decent deck, with a strong preamp...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2003 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

thanks Big Purds, I'm a big fan of the 8X oversampling and 20 bit D/A in the Nak decks.  Makes all CD's sound better! And I HATE the overblown faceplate light shows on a lot of modern decks!  Tha CD45z has none of that, just clean looks and clean sound.  If I had the extra bucks, I'd go for the MB series...

BTW, the CD45z replaced my Eclipse 55430 and there is NO comparison.  The Nakamichi blows it away.

Big Purds 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2003 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
one of the other great bonuses you get with a Nak deck is the mid control adjustment...it is so useful I dont really understand why so few manufacturers employ that into head unit design...its a great thing to have...
Steve West 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  

WHen looking for a MP3 HU you should definately go for the ones with VARIABLE BITE RATE playback.

This as u might have put together, records specific frequencies in different kbps. So high frequency notes will be recorded at a high bite rate than the lower frequencies, giving you the maximum amount of songs per disk while still giving you optimum quality.

Nak? Damn there are some serious disadvantages about being on the other side of the Atlantic for ive never even heard of that make! they are unknown to UK  Favorite SQ decks... - Page 2 -- posted image. 

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic