icon

2001 pontiac grand am locks with 451m

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jimmy 2 Times 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
i just did rs on a 2001 grand am. everything is working fine except for the door lock/unlock
i used a 451m with the 1500ohm resitor, and it doesnt lock or unlock
my 451 m is wired up like this
purple to ground
WHITE/ black cut off
BROWN / black cut off
blue and green to the white wire in the car (with the resitor)
I verified the correct resistance, but no unlock
I have read others used different resitors, how would i determine if in need another value?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2011 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

Verify you have the correct White wire in the Black plug in the Driver Kick Panel.    After verification, a quick test is to just apply a straight chassis ground with a jumper to this White wire.  The doors should lock.  Do the same with the jumper and a 1.5K ohm resistor on the end of it.  The doors should unlock.

Your wiring on the DEI 451M outputs looks OK.  Can you hear / feel the 451M relays click.  Check the 15A fuse and chassis ground to the Purple wire and that the Red wire in the 3 Pin white plug is getting +12V.

Soldering is fun!
Jimmy 2 Times 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2011 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
yes, i tested the wire to ground and it locked, just not unlock.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2011 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
I have had numerous cars where the resistance was incorrectly listed. I would either try a few different resistances and see if you find one that works; or test for the correct resistance on the wire while unlocking.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  

For a very comprehensive guide on door lock systems, go to the Downloads section and search on DF1041.  Page 10 has the info for your Type H (-) Door Locks.  They detail how to determine the correct resistor value required.

Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2011 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
Has the poster made sure the resistor is only on the blue wire, I read the first post as wires joined, then the resistor.????
This morning my pants belt broke, I spilled my tea all over my desk and 2 trips to my local supermarket to get one working wireless mouse, oh and lost out on $600 worth of profit!*
So no stupids please this week.
*People getting big ideas then realising they can't afford it.
Do you know 5102 and 5202 DEI products, one way and two way are $75 apart TRADE here?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic