the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2001 Pontiac Grand Am wiring question...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
LuccianoDuckman 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

Hello all,

I have a question regarding my 2001 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cylinder.  I recently purchased an engine Pre-Luber ( www.preluber.com), and I need some suggestions on where to find a 12 volt wire within the engine compartment.

What I need is a wire that will safely supply 12 volts when the key is in the "on" position and does not go dead with the key is turned to the "start" position.  But the wire should go dead when the key is turned off.  All the dealers I have called have been very little help.  They have basically said that all wires they could easily refer me to would supply 12 volts, but that they run such low amps that drawing current from them would cause problems.

So I need to find a wire that can supply 12 volts in the circumstances described above, and will also supply enough amps as to not upset the original circuit they are supplying.  Is there anyone here who can give me a clue?

Thanks.

Lucciano 

Ronald Mark 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
One of these two wires will be hot during cranking. Use a test light or DMM to determine.
Ignition - Pink Ignition Switch Harness, Remove Radio or Instrument Cluster
Ignition 2 - Orange Ignition Switch Harness, Remove Radio or Instrument Cluster
You could also find the hot wire going to the coils an use it.
Then use a Relay like this:
2001 Pontiac Grand Am wiring question... -- posted image.
wire as follows: 85 to ground
                 86 to ign. or coils
                 30 to bat. (Fused)
                 87 to pre-luber power input
LuccianoDuckman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
ugg...is there anything with easier access under the hood?
Ronald Mark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
Sure, use a DMM or test light to ground and test the wires going to your coils. One of them will be hot with ign. and crank as I said. Wire it to 86.
You will have to use a relay. its simple, you can handle it.
LuccianoDuckman 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

The one concern I have about connecting with the battery through the relay is that this ECM for the pre-luber requires a very weak 12 volt supply.  So if I connect to the battery through the relay to supply the power, once the engine starts the output of the battery will be slightly higher - around 13 to 15 volts - because the alternator will be charging, correct?  I'm concerned that this added voltage may fry the ECM.  I'm going to contact the pre-luber manufacturer to find out if this is a problem.

Thoughts?

Thanks a lot for your input.

Ronald Mark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
You don't have to worry about that. All 12 volt circuits in the car will operate on the same voltage when the car is running.
Ryan Smith 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
Ronald is right - dont worry about the voltage increase.  This little waste of money is controlled by nothing more than a relay.  Take the little wire that goes to the ignition and either connect it to pink, green, or orange at the switch.  You could also spend possibly more time and probe (with a DMM, not a test light as you probably already know) around at the coil, or at the Delphi power box near the left front strut to see if you can find 12 volts while the ignition switch is at the Run and Start positions.  I have a 2001 Alero GLS that has an identical wiring system as your car - I would just get it at the key.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic