icon

powering 2 15 L7's???

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mylar 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking into getting 2 15 inch L7's and am wondering what amp I should get that isn't all that expensive (with good quality bass), and doesn't exceed the RMS level? I'm preferably looking for a 2 channel amp that powers each solobaric off of each channel at 2 ohms. thanks
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

hehe don't think you'll need to worry about exceeding the RMS level of those subs.  There are so many different amps out there and many will push your subs just fine; however, I think that you'd get the most bang for your buck from a JBL Power Series BP1200.1.  They can be found on ebay for under 300 although just be aware of who you're purchasing from and what kind of return/warranty policies they have.

ANYWAYS, about the amp...it is 1 ohm stable, though it puts out the same amount of total power at 2 ohms as it does at 1 ohm.  The 1 ohm stability just means you have more flexibility with the wiring of subs.  It puts out 1200 watts RMS at 2 ohms, so you'd be sending 600 watts RMS to each sub.  It does require a 150 amp ANL fuse and at least 4 gauge power cable, and in most vehicles a high output alternator is highly recommended if you plan to be pushing this amp to it's limits.  Capacitors may temporarily solve problems with lights dimming but in the long run I'd go for a HO alternator.  Of course this depends on what kind of vehicle you have....

Yes there are other amps that will put out power closer to the 1000 watt max RMS rating of the L7s ( Audiobahn A18001DQ for example) but you probably could get two of  the JBL amps for less than the cost of a single 2000 watt amp.  Just my 2 cents though.

oh and I forgot to ask, are you going for SQ or SPL?  Or somewhere in between?

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
I have to 2nd esmith69 on the JBL 1200 1 you can’t find better bang for your buck, and it will put out some good clean power. But I would suggest you look at the Orion 2500D it will match up nicely with those L7's. It’s a little more in price but is an overall better amp. http://www.orioncaraudio.com/amps/Dmono.asp
mylar 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. I'm goin for SPL... thats why I originally chose the L7's, cause they move alot of air!!! and I'm puttin them in a '91 Jeep Cherokee... so it'd be like a pressurized box... its says that the JBL is a mono amp, how would I be able to hook it up to 2 Solobarics???
mylar 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
I'm thinkin about it, and well, I'm really tryin to go for somewhere in between.... I mean, the L7's their already gonna have a good SBL... might has well have a hard hitting system too......
mylar 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
lol, I mean SPL... I'm think JBL at the same time..... well get back to me on what you think....
mylar 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
I was also thinkin, I have a legacy red series amp... its 500x2 at 2 ohms and 1000x1 at 4 ohms...... how do you think that would sound if I hooked it up at 500x2 at 2 ohms??? I've been told to stay away from legacy, but the amp was only $100.....  what do you think of legacy??
Dose3782 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
Heres my 2 cents for you guys..
I have installed pair after pair of the 15L7s at the shop I work at. Man those r some sick subs guys. I luv em. We use for a nice package the concept 2400d. It makes those 15l7s hammer. For the guys that want even more outta em we use a Matts on em. I myself am going the mephis 1.5d which will send 1500 watts to each baric. Run a small sealed with good bracing if your going to over power them (yes we have blown quite a few of em lol) If you want good spl just follow the manual that comes with em for the spl box thats a slot port. Can't send more power to em than they are recommended with that box but hey its loud also. If you r putting them in an suv u can run the slot port box and get away with a concept 2400d. That JBL 1200 we also sell but we use it more for the L712's. Both ways are great, but for the money and if ya have the room go with the recommened power and use the slot port and you will be very happy, just dont starve them in any way, or your amp for that matter. I'll second the other post get a high output alt. Make er' bump!
Living Loud?
More like living deaf!
Long live the L7!
Dose3782 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Oh on the legacy amp, that amp alone on one L715 wouldnt do much for you. Sorry man they just dont put out the power they say they do. Look at the fuses on the amp compared to other 1000 watt amps and youll understand why. You just cant squeeze 1000 watts through 35 amps lol. Any how I forgot to mention if your going to run a pair of the 15's off a concept 2400d go with the 4 ohm models and parrell them down to a 1 ohm load as that amp puts out 2400 watts @ 1 ohm. Not sure on the JBL havent done any installs myself with them, as I always jump into the 15l7 installs first lol, (im a bass freak) and we dont do to many of them as the concept 1200d sells better. Any questions let me know, I have seen the concepts on ebay for under 300 bucks too and those were designed by the same guy that designed the old P.G. amps. Good ol' Larry sure puts out a good amp!
L8rs
mylar 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info... but I still cant seem to figure out how you'd you hook a mono amp to 2 subs??? if I paralleled them, would'd it be the same watts to both??? thanks
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic