icon

python 1401 flex relay possibly?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kallan90 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2012 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I'm installing a Python 1401 in an 03 Durango. Right now when I try to command start it, the dash lights don't light up and it doesn't crank. If you perform the remote shutdown diagnosis it flashes 8 times(Neutral Safety Shutdown). I'm guessing that I don't need too have the neutral safety input hooked up.
Just wondering If I maybe have something mixed up with the power wires causing this???? Which ones do I actually need, just the orange, violet, red?
H3/1 Pink - Ignition 1 Input/Output
H3/2 RED / White - Ignition 2/Flex Relay Input 87
H3/3 Orange - Accessory Output
H3/4 Violet - Starter
H3/5 Red - Ignition 1 Input
H3/6 Pink/White - Ignition 2/Flex Relay Output
H3/7 Pink/Black - Flex Relay Input 87A key side of flex relay
H3/8 RED / Black - Accessory/Starter Input
Also If someone could explain about the Python Flex Relay.....Is it just too add a second accessory or a 2ND Starter Wire??
Thanks In Advance..
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2012 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Neutral Safety shutdown is caused by 2 things (usually).
1)The Neutral Safety toggle switch is not on (or unplugged)
2)BLACK/ White wire on H2 18-pin harness is not grounded.
If this car has an automatic transmission, you would connect the BLACK/ White straight to ground.
If it has a manual transmission, you should connect the BLACK/ White wire to the neutral safety wire in the car (if it has one). If it doesn't have one, then connect it straight to ground and make sure the remote starter is set for manual transmission mode.
And yes, the Flex Relay is a 2nd Input/Output that can be configured for 2nd Ignition or Accessory (possibly 2nd Starter).
The RED / White (H3/2) would connect to 12v constant and the pink/white (H3/6) and/or pink/black (H3/7) would go to the 2nd Ign/Acc wire etc.
kallan90 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
Okay so It appears the I am missing a power. If I command start the vehicle, the odometer lights up but the vehicle doesnt crank. If I turn the key to run and then command start the vehicle cranks and fires up.
Could someone tell me where I went wrong?
H3/1 Pink - Ignition 1 Input/Output
I have this wire hooked up to (Blue) Ignition on the vehicle.
H3/2 RED / White - Ignition 2/Flex Relay Input 87
I have this wire hooked up to 12v constant (Pink/Black) on the vehicle.
H3/3 Orange - Accessory Output
This wire is hooked up to Accessory (BLACK/ Orange) on the vehicle.
H3/4 Violet - Starter
This wire is hooked up to Crank (Yellow) on the vehicle.
H3/5 Red - Ignition 1 Input
I have this wire attached to H3/1 which is too Ignition
H3/6 Pink/White - Ignition 2/Flex Relay Output
I have this wire hooked up to Ignition 2 (GREEN/ Red) on the vehicle
H3/7 Pink/Black - Flex Relay Input 87A key side of flex relay
This wire is not hooked up.
H3/8 RED / Black - Accessory/Starter Input
I have this wire hooked up to H3/3 Accessory.
Thanks in Advance.
kallan90 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
Okay so I messed up, as I finished writing that I realized what I did...Sorry about that.
So I got all that figured out, now I have a differnet problem. When I command start, the vehicle starts up and runs for about 5 seconds and shuts off. So Im assuming its a Tach programming issue.
I have it setup with virtual tach...Should I wire it to an injector and reprogram?? Do Dodges not like to run on virtual tach?
Thanks in Advance. :)
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
try starting it with the key in the ignition (not turned at all) this will verify that it is not a bypass issue. Another way to tell is, what color is the head of your key. if it is gray you need a bypass. If its black you do not. Always connect a good tach signal. Virtual tach is never as reliable.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
kallan90 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
I do have a bypass installed, its an idatalink. I know what you mean though, I will try that tomorrow. If it starts and runs, what do you think the problem is though and if it does the same thing what would you be leaning towards as the cause???
Thanks for the reply.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,786
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

Here are some Tach signal sources :

On the 5.9L engine, use the BLACK/ GRAY wire at the IGNITION COIL for the

TACH wire. On the 4.7L engine, use the wire that is NOT a GREEN/ ORANGE
at one of the coils. (AC)

Soldering is fun!
kallan90 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
If I run a wire to the injector like you say, the bypass has a tach wire on it and according to the instructions its required...Can I just leave it disconnected?
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  
Not a big deal, but on future posts make sure to include that you have installed a bypass. It will help save time on helping you out.
I have had pretty good luck so far with the idatalink tach signals so before you hardwire it, were you able to program the tach signal ok or did it give you issues when programming? To program tach you need to connect your valet button and watch the LED on the unit. Start the car with the key and once the RPM levels out (but within 5 seconds of starting) press and hold the valet button until the LED illuminates. If it illuminates then the tach signal is good and your problem is elsewhere.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
kallan90 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
Okay so if I put the key into the ignition, not turning it at all. I can command start the vehicle and it runs fine. So the tach signal has to be good right. So now it has to be something with the bypass like you said right? What is the probable cause do you think...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic