icon

car capacitor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rjkboyle 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, so right now I have a 4 gauge wire running to my 18 Farad Boss Cap (I know it sucks but continuing on) which then go out to a power distro block and two 8 gauge wires to 2 amps. I recently bought a new amp which needs a 4 gauge wire connection so im going to be running a 0 gauge wire from battery to cap then split from there. But I am worried about change the wire over on the cap? If i plug the 4 gauge by the time i have the 0 wire run back there will it be still ok to connect or will there be a significant power change in the cap?
I hope this is explained well I can elaborate more if needed, I just dont want to see any big sparks or anything scary when doing this wiring.
Edit:
Caps
- Have 4 gauge wire running battery to cap
- Bought 0 gauge wire to run battery to cap
- Need to unplug 4 gauge wire from cap
- Run 0 gauge wire to cap
- Will it be ok to just unplug power wire from cap, and plug the 0 gauge one in say an hour later?
- Any other advice for dealing with caps and stuff please let me know!
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

what brand/model are the amplifiers?

yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
rjkboyle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
One a Pionner GM-6200f
The other is a Rockford Fosgate Prime R1000-1D
itsyuk 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

using a charging capacitor for a minute before hooking up the new wire would be the best way to do it. because you never know where sparks will lead.

but i dont thing you need to upgrade. that sub amp only requires three 30 amp fuses on its chassis. that tells me that the current its circuits are gonna pull is not gonna be that extreme.

make sure that 0 gauge wire is properly fused at the battery. if it aint and it shorts, you may be left with w pile of ashes in the shape of your car.

i hope you have grounds that are as capable as your power wires/connections.

yuk
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
rjkboyle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
Oh man itsyuk, starting to scare me now.
I have a 0 gauge ground wire that I will be connecting to the chassis as well. Do you think I should just leave my 4 gauge wire to power both those sub? Can you explain how I should wire it all?
Thanks.
itsyuk 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

just make sure that big cable has good grommets where it passes through walls and doesnt get exposed to sharp object that can vibrate through the jacket. its that same stuff you should always look for. be safe you will always have fun.

i had a 93 corsica

i ran autotek amps first. 800X bridged to 4 ohm solobaric, another 800X bridged to another 4 ohm solobaric, a 100X bridged to a single JL XR650CS speaker, another 100X bridged to another JL XR650CS  speaker, an audio control model11 center channel amp/processor running a JL XR650CX in the middle of the dash.

4ga main feed, split block, 4ga to each big amp 8ga for smalls from there., no cap. just did alternator upgrade and wireupgrade  from alt to battery. upgraded battery grounds.

played fine.

later i sold all the autoteks and replaced with 1 new JL 500/1 and a 1 new 300/2. 4ga to each from the split block.

again, never had an issue.

removed the solobarics and got a single audiomobile MASS2012. WOW what an awsome upgrade.

still, no problems.

later added a optima battery to the trunk to extend runtime when the key was off. used a constant duty solenoid for connecting the extra battery in and out of the system. never had a single problem. 150k+ mile and 7 years.

kept the stuff, sold the car.

yuk
rjkboyle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
Wow ok.
Well i have done big 3 upgrade already.
Do you think I should keep the 4ga and find a way to split 4ga to 4ga and 8 ga for each amp?
Same with ground?
I already ordered a 0ga wiring kit but I would gladly return it. I just am unsure on fuse sizes and such.
itsyuk 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  

lets see if anyone else chimes in. maybe someone has a better opinion or even a confirmation of mine.

thats what i like about this site.

some fuse and split blocks are made for 4 or 8 outputs. they have a little ring to put on the 8 and then the tightening screw goes through a hole in the ring and clamps the wire.  it keeps the wire cenetered better on the block and keeps more on the strands under the clamping screw.

yuk
rjkboyle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
Ok great, in the mean time I will draw up in paint what I have, and what I was gonna do and we gett try to get some opinions.
Thanks.
rjkboyle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
This is what I have wired up right now.
car capacitor -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic