2011 sierra viper 5901 idatalink

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jsolts 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

So here is my situation.

I am frustrated beyond belief with this truck.

I have a 2011 Sierra Ext cab

Viper 5901 Starter / Alarm Combo and Idatalink AL with the GM3 firmware.

Here is what i have connected.

From I data Link  (using type 3 install)

(3pin i data link harness)

WHITE/ black hooked up to the key side of the brown wire  (install sheets say brown or yellow - i have yellow ) on the pk3 connector
WHITE/ red to the RED / white (12v) on the pk3 connector
White to  black / white ground on the pk3 connector
(10 pin idata link harness)
BLACK/ White to the car side of the brown wire  (install sheets say brown or yellow - i have yellow ) on the ignition harness

(idatalink 3 pin harness)

Yellow wire from idatalink to the pink wire on the igniton harness.

I connected the 5901 to the idatalink via the data cable

Viper 5901

H1

12v constant - H1 - Red to RED / white bcm black plug pin 1
Siren Output to siren red (siren works perfectly)
H1/5 to ground
Remote Start Harness
H3 - Pink (ignition 1)- to pink bcm LT Green plug pin 14
H3 - RED / White Tied into H1/2 (red 12v constant)
H3 - Red  Tied into H1/2 (red 12v constant)
H3 - Red / Black Tied into H1/2 (red 12v constant)
H3 - Orange - to BCM lt green plug pin 21

H2 - Brown - to brake switch

H2 - BLACK/ White - to ground

When i connect the idatalink module it programs with no problems, however i cant seem to get it to function.

When i remote start the vehicle it goes thru the motions and dosen't crank. If i put my keys in the ignition and try it will start then die seconds later.
If i try to use the lock or unlock function, it will not work. The alarm will chirp, but it will not lock or unlock the doors.
My lights do not flash and my viper doesent see door triggers unless i connect it directly to the BCM

I have tried 3 seperate idatalink bypasses - they all program properly ( i have had them reflashed to make sure it wasnt a bad flash)

I have tried both type 2 and type 3 install with the i data link

What am i doing wrong, i installed  5701 in a 2007 sierra with no issues. I just cant seem to get the idatalink to work with the vehicle.

Please help.

offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think that the idatalink and Viper systems are compatible d2d... but I could be wrong. I would rewire it in w2w mode and see what you get. d2d is never as reliable as w2w and proves to be a major PITA when it comes to troubleshooting.
Also, where did you connect the tach and did you program the tach signal to the unit? That could explain why it is dying with the keys in the ignition.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2012 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
Possibly a dumb question but did you flash the ADS AL CA with the DBI AL(DL) GM3 firmware?  This is the correct flavor firmware for the D2D connection with the Viper unit.
Soldering is fun!
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
3 pin yellow to pink? that's not right, passlock wire is pink/black. The pink ignition should go to pink.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
jsolts 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  

offroadzj wrote:
I don't think that the idatalink and Viper systems are compatible d2d... but I could be wrong. I would rewire it in w2w mode and see what you get. d2d is never as reliable as w2w and proves to be a major PITA when it comes to troubleshooting.
Also, where did you connect the tach and did you program the tach signal to the unit? That could explain why it is dying with the keys in the ignition.

I've used the d2d with viper 5701 a few times and it worked no problem.

I didnt connect the tach wire, the idatalink provides a tach output. - I've also tried switching the remote start to tachless and voltage sensing. But no luck.

jsolts 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 6:53 AM / IP Logged  

kreg357 wrote:
Possibly a dumb question but did you flash the ADS AL CA with the DBI AL(DL) GM3 firmware?  This is the correct flavor firmware for the D2D connection with the Viper unit.

I've used 3 different Bypasses - 2 AL and 1 DL - programmed by 3 different shops. None seem to work, they all go thru the program seq properly but i cant get even the door locks to work.  

kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  

Without the ADS USB cable and access to the iDatalink WEB site, it won't be possible to verify exactly

which firmware and version is loaded on the module.  We shall assume it is the latest version of GM3. 
Additionally, if they gave you the correct ADS HRN DBI harness for the D2D connection between the Viper
and the iDatalink, then it might have the correct firmware.

First, let's be sure you did set the module to DATA mode ( one blink ) and lock it in before programming

the module to the truck.  If you have the DBI firmware and are connected in D2D mode, you must set the
module to DATA mode.  See the top of Page 14 for Installation Mode Instructions.  Try a Factory Reset,
set the install mode ( one blink ) and then program to the truck.  At this point, the locks should work.

If this does not work, the next step is to try W2W mode.  As mentioned by Kenny, the safest, most

reliable method to install is using the W2W method.  While it will take a little longer, it will work
no matter which version ( ADS or DBI ) was loaded onto the module.  Following the ADS #7336 install
guide for the Type 3 install, make all the necessary connections between the Viper and the bypass module
shown as dashed Red lines ( remove the D2D cable ).  Switch to W2W mode by doing the Factory Reset, setting
the Install Mode ( 2 blinks ) and programming to the truck.

Viper connections will be added later.

Soldering is fun!
kreg357 
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  

Connections in D2D mode :

Viper                                    Sierra

H1/2    Red                      +12V constant
H1/3    Brown                   Siren
H1/5    Black                     Chassis Ground
H1/11  White                    Light Blue @ Headlight Switch    *** Set Viper Jumper/Fuse to (-)

H2/17   Brown                  N.U. (Handled by ADS bypass)

H2/18   BLACK/ White        Chassis ground

H3/1   Pink                        Pink @ Ignition Connector  Pin 1 ( ADS ALCA Pink, too )

H3/3   Orange                  Brown or Yellow @ Ignition Connector Pin 3
H3/6   Red                      +12V constant
H3/9   RED / Black           +12V constant

The iDatalink modules' connections : (Follow the install guide exactly.  There are two

connectors used, Ignition & Transponder - PK3 )

ADS                     Signal                             Ignition                                               PK3

Pink                    Ignition                           Pin 1 Pink
Orange              Data  SWC                                                                          Pin 5 Green
Yellow                Passlock                       Pin 5 Pink/Black
White                 Ground                                                                                 Pin 3 BLACK/ White
WHITE/ Red        PK3 +12v                                                                              Pin 1 RED / White
WHITE/ Black      PK3 ACC Key Side                                                             Pin 2 Yellow ( or Brown )
BLACK/ White      PK3 ACC Vehicle Side                                                      Pin 2 Yellow ( or Brown )

Soldering is fun!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic